Snowmobile Games?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Snowmobile Games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 7th, 2020, 10:07 pm

So we finally got a little snow in Maryland so I'm reaching for my old standby: Snocross for the Dreamcast. Arctic Thunder is pretty good too.

But where are the modern snowmobile racing games?! It seems like they don't make niche titles like that anymore, and it's sad!

CharlieR

Re: Snowmobile Games?

Postby CharlieR » January 8th, 2020, 8:01 am

I know what you mean - seems like there was a lot to choose from in past generations. Doesn't seem to be as many options these days.

The only modern snowmobile game I can think of is Snow Moto Racing Freedom for the switch - I believe there was an installment on the 3ds as well. 3ds one is a download only game, but I think the switch game has a physical version.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 8th, 2020, 8:46 am

Snocross over Sled Storm?

My guess is that Sled Storm (PS1) had a lot to do with the slew of snowmobile games during the early 2000s. Sony pushed the hell out of that game - marketing it heavily and including it on all its demo discs. Plus it was a good game. I assume that translated into pretty nice sales, and then several other developers tried to cash in. Those games didn't have the same marketing or quality as Sled Storm, and the subgenre never really caught on. I think that's the main reason we don't see those games much today.. not worth developing if they can't sell.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » January 8th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Polaris SnoCross for N64/PlayStation/Game Boy Color

noah98

Postby noah98 » January 9th, 2020, 6:12 am

Don't know if it is any good, but here is the link to the Nintendo Switch game:

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/sw ... 58280.html

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 10th, 2020, 2:52 pm

I ordered it! Stay tuned...

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » January 10th, 2020, 3:28 pm

I picked up Motorstorm: Arctic Edge for PS2 a couple years back (for dirt cheap too) based on your review. Love that game. Not snowmobile specific, but I thought it was worthy of your high grade. Ever thought about picking that one back up and trying to finish Festival mode?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 10th, 2020, 9:24 pm

I like where your head is at Lucky.

I'm pulling this one out the next time I have friends over. I totally forgot about it.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » January 11th, 2020, 10:18 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I like where your head is at Lucky.

I'm pulling this one out the next time I have friends over. I totally forgot about it.

I've been playing it a lot lately. It kind of stinks that you can only race against 4 cpu drivers when you play 2 player split-screen, but it's a great 2-player arcade-style racer. Remember, the courses that they give you in "Wreckreation" mode start off muddy, and progressively get to snowier. I just figured that one out. So pick your vehicles accordingly. That 's my one nitpick gripe on the game - that it doesn't have enough snowy courses.

I totally appreciate the review and recommendation of this game. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled up your site on my phone at the store where I buy used video game stuff.

Enjoy the snowfall, we're supposed to get 9-12 here tonight.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 12th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Well trying out Snow Moto Racing Freedom for the Switch, and all I can say is... YIKES.

Steering is very difficult, and framerate jerky. I wonder if this was even designed for the Switch.

Still early - need to run it by my friends. But not looking promising so far.

Return to “Video Games General”