Console Designs: PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Console Designs: PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 2nd, 2020, 7:15 pm

There are some interesting pics of the upcoming consoles in this article:
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/ ... 20-details

First I want to note that both system support PHYSICAL MEDIA despite the fact that the media "experts" predicted that would be phased out a decade ago! Score one for the VGC. [holding fist out] Git it!

Next I'd like to comment about the designs. The Xbox is definitely a box. Elegant but unimaginative. I'd give it a C. Definitely a step up from the VCR look.

The PS5, if this is in fact the design, is absolutely insane. The V shape is nothing like I've seen, and it looks like there is potential for cool lighting effects. Hats off to Sony for having the balls to think outside the box.

Another thing I like are the easy-to-read buttons. For the life of me I'm still not sure what those thin black buttons do on my PS4, but I definitely hate them - especially having to hold them in for 7.5 seconds or whatever. This console looks very straight forward. I might have to give it an A.

Thoughts??

DrLitch

Re: Console Designs: PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X

Postby DrLitch » January 2nd, 2020, 7:56 pm

One thing that gets lost with the Xbox design is it's size. That is a small bit of kit considering the components they are packing in there. Looks like air gets drawn from the bottom of case and exhausted through the top. Good classic design but maybe one flaw - it might not fit in a typical media cabinet facing up.

The PS5 looks far more futuristic with an innovative airflow scheme. However according to one or two commentaries, the PS5 will be a beast in dimensions - think Atari 5200 / Original Xbox size. It will fit in a typical media cabinet. The PS5 controller looks great.

Caveat again with Sony though, no backwards compatibility with the PS3. WTF is it with Sony? Do they have some kind of Neuroses with their PS3 console? Xbox conversely will be back compatable with everything, entire library from 2002 to now. That is...... awesome.....

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 13th, 2020, 9:49 pm

I give the T Bone. The Xbox series X and A+. It looks fantastic. I have to I like Xbox.

You have to hand it to sony they know how to make the worst console designs. That thinks looks awful. So I will give it a F-.

Xbox 1 I have a C.
PS4 I a give an A to ... great looking machine. The best this gen.

The best console design ever.. it has to be the wood grain Atari VCS.

Am I going to buy into the new gen of ps5/Tbone? Probably not.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 14th, 2020, 12:14 am

That leaked PS5 design is the tackiest thing I've seen in my life. The exact kind of busily chunky plastic crap that you'd find on the bottom shelf in the Wal-Mart electronics aisle around 2003. God knows how they recreated it for 2020.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 14th, 2020, 8:45 am

In theory the new Xbox can be laid down and not have to stand up.

I agree, the PS5 V shape is a bit, well, odd. If it's as big as the Atari 5200 that's going to be gross.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 14th, 2020, 10:51 am

I thought that the PS5 looked really cool at first.. but now you guys have me rethinking it, and I'm a bit more on the fence. It sorta reminds me of a router, with all its blue flashing lights. Like a Linksys Router and a Tomytronic 3D had a baby.

+
t3d.jpg
t3d.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

=

In fairness though, that is just a Dev Kit version, so the retail version could be different.
Meanwhile, the new Xbox is even worse- it looks like an Alexa ripoff, with it's tall, plain design.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » January 14th, 2020, 9:04 pm

Next gen is becoming really interesting. Though Xbox is lacking in the original content department they are committed to backwards compatibility and raw power. Game pass appears to be popular and has drawn a lot of positive attention to the platform.

Sony has always had great exclusives and this looks to continue for the next generation of consoles. Early reports point to Sony's new console being less powerful than Xbox. Backwards compatibility is something they're not that focused on.

I think the PS4 base model is one of the most stylish consoles ever but the pro is ugly (Along with the xbox one). Xbox series X console design is simple, stylish and reminds everyone of a pc. We don't know what the PS5 will look like yet but I hope to god it doesn't resemble the dev kit ass that is truly ugly!

Currently I have a Nintendo Switch, Pc and Xbox 360 for my gaming needs. Six months ago I thought I would get a Sony console next gen but now I'm leaning heavily towards Microsoft's offering. There are titles I own on the Xbox 360 I'd live to continue playing and Microsoft's commitment to backwards compatibility is a big seller for me as my 360 is dying. I like how I can buy an original Xbox game from 2004, pop the disc in the series X and it will work. I Have noticed that prices for Xbox and Xbox 360 titles have increased on ebay recently though!

Shapur

Postby Shapur » January 14th, 2020, 10:31 pm

The 360 backwards compatibility is pretty good, but they only have a handful of Xbox games(23?) that work. It’s mind boggling to me they could write an emulator for Xbox -> 360 but not Xbox -> Xbox One. Then again bleem could get PS1 games to work on my Pentium II but Sony dropped PS1 support.

Both designs are, IMO of course, total crap. The PS5 WILL NOT look like that. It’s a dev kit. Dev kits very often do not at all resemble the actually hardware. The Xbox looks like a boring PC case. Or maybe a small subwoofer.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » January 15th, 2020, 12:00 am

DrLitch wrote:Xbox conversely will be back compatable with everything, entire library from 2002 to now. That is...... awesome.....

I see this bandied about quite a bit, about modern systems having 'backward compatibility' - is it TRUE backward compatibility... i.e., can I take my original Xbox game disk, but it in this thing, and it will work? Or is it only compatibility in the sense they put an emulator in it and will re-sell you the same game you already bought via their online store for the new system?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 15th, 2020, 8:29 am

C64_Critic wrote:
DrLitch wrote:Xbox conversely will be back compatable with everything, entire library from 2002 to now. That is...... awesome.....

I see this bandied about quite a bit, about modern systems having 'backward compatibility' - is it TRUE backward compatibility... i.e., can I take my original Xbox game disk, but it in this thing, and it will work? Or is it only compatibility in the sense they put an emulator in it and will re-sell you the same game you already bought via their online store for the new system?

The way it works today on the Xbox One is that it supports both options. If you have your disk you insert it, the console then downloads a copy of the game. You can play it as long as you have the disk the in the console. Alternatively, you can buy a digital copy of the game. It's same the image that's downloaded when you insert a copy of the game in the drive. Does that make sense?

Return to “Video Games General”