Console Designs: PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X

General and high profile video game topics.
Verm3

Re: Console Designs: PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X

Postby Verm3 » January 15th, 2020, 1:16 pm

But will the 360 disc still work once the Xbox One servers are taken down. That's not true backward compatibly IMO.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 15th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Verm3 wrote:But will the 360 disc still work once the Xbox One servers are taken down. That's not true backward compatibly IMO.

I think it's the same way with the 360, when you play an Xbox game. It downloads a small file that allows you to play it. I've always worried about that, the same way you are now - i.e., what happens when the servers are gone? My guess is that, after the servers go down, backwards compatibility will still work for any games that you popped in and got the file beforehand, but it won't work for games you insert for the first time after the servers are down.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » January 15th, 2020, 11:49 pm

It downloads the entire game from the internet and the disc is only used as a verification that you actually own it. Each game has been recompiled to run on Xbox One hardware. There’s no hardware based backwards compatibility, or even emulation based backwards compatibility.

Of course someday someone will find a security flaw and extract the recompiled games onto a ROM site.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » January 16th, 2020, 1:05 pm

The new Xbox could be confused for one of those old NExt computers.

Regardless, I know I'll own it. And the PS5.

Perhaps my age is showing, though -- I'm more excited about the Intellivision Amico than anything from Microsoft or Sony.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » January 16th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Shapur wrote:It downloads the entire game from the internet and the disc is only used as a verification that you actually own it. Each game has been recompiled to run on Xbox One hardware. There’s no hardware based backwards compatibility, or even emulation based backwards compatibility.

I guess this is what I suspected and what I was trying to verify - the very fact that the console would necessarily need to be online at all to play your 'backwards compatible' disks tells me it's not truly backwards compatible. I'd jump at, say, and new Xbox console or PS console that allowed me to finally mothball my Xbox, Xbox 360, PS1, PS2, and PS3 systems - but these are clearly not going to be that animal.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 17th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Curiius: for those attracted to the technical power of the X series, why not just go PC? Feels like they’re basically the same

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » January 19th, 2020, 5:20 am

Voor wrote:Curiius: for those attracted to the technical power of the X series, why not just go PC? Feels like they’re basically the same

I got a relatively high spec pc at the start of this generation. It's more powerful than base Xbox one and Ps4 but I had it built for me which was quite expensive. I could get someone to upgrade it or have a go myself but Im not that knowledgeable about these things. I've added fans and replaced heat sinks etc bit that's as far is it goes.
It goes without saying that the new generation of Xbox and PS4 won't be as powerful as a top end pc, but they look to be a big leap up from current gen and much cheaper than a more powerful pc build of a similar or higher end build! I just hope we're not looking at more than £500 ($650)!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 19th, 2020, 11:45 am

Voor wrote:Curiius: for those attracted to the technical power of the X series, why not just go PC? Feels like they’re basically the same

Price and optimization. With Sony and Microsoft willing to take massive losses on hardware sales the PC cannot compete as a gaming platform alone. People overestimate PC power considering that a PC is not a dedicated gaming machine. Folks posting "PC for $500 that beats console" either - scour used parts and get lucky or, - rig results choosing games that so happen to perform well with a PC and are well optimized. If Red Dead Redemption 2 is an indication of what is to come the boon of dedicated hardware will overcome any power deficiency. Red Dead Redemprtion 2 is glorious on an Xbox One X. On a PC it is anything but. A horrible port.

Return to “Video Games General”