Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 19th, 2020, 5:21 pm

I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night on Blu Ray.

I was a big fan of Quentin Tarantino's early work. I liked Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie, and Jackie Brown was great. He kind of lost with me with the Kill Bill movies. I thought the ones since were just okay.

I think Hollywood is a return to form for him. This is a distinctly Tarantino movie, with interesting characters, outrageous scenes, fun dialog, and several unlikely intersecting storylines which come together at the end. It was long but I absolutely enjoyed it the entire time. I love the 1970's theme even though the actors felt very contemporary.

It's also the kind of movie I could watch multiple times because there's a lot going on and it's hard to absorb all it on the few viewing. Recommended!

Dogman

Re: Once Upon a Time In Hollywood

Postby Dogman » January 19th, 2020, 6:43 pm

I thought the acting from both DiCaprio and Brad Pitt was amazing in this. Quentin Tarantino has a way with building up characters and settings, and of course the Manson tie-in made it extra interesting...

OzGamer

Postby OzGamer » January 19th, 2020, 7:53 pm

I saw it twice in the cinema, and recently purchased it on Blu-Ray. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Perhaps bizarrely, of all Tarantino's films, this reminded me of 'Inglourious Basterds'.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » January 19th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Great film. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were two of my favorite movies as a teenager. For some reason Jackie Brown fell flat for me as a 16-year-old and I didn't even bother to finish it - I very much want to give it another chance, especially as its rep has grown over the years. Saw the Kill Bill movies and Grindhouse in the theater - enjoyed them all to some degree (although the first half of Death Proof is the single worst thing Tarantino has ever done, even if it is meant as a riff on the structure of slasher films) but none of them touched the early stuff and I lost my prior enthusiasm for Tarantino's work. I didn't end up watching anything else from him until 2015, when my cousin showed me Inglourious Basterds. This was the return of the filmmaker I loved all those years ago, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood might be even better. I now have Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight to watch and Jackie Brown to return to, as well as True Romance (written by Tarantino - I've already seen Natural Born Killers).

Return to “Other Media”