New Game Boy Review Trio

General and high profile video game topics.
goldenband

Re: New Game Boy Review Trio

Postby goldenband » January 20th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Maybe you're covering the Q's, with Quarth, Qbillion, and Qix? That'd miss out on Q*Bert, though.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 21st, 2020, 4:46 am

The worst part of getting old is discovering brand new things I'd already read before.

How can I remember all your reviews of old arcade ports on the Gameboy, and completely forget Empire Strikes Back and Super Mario Land? :lol:

Although, I wish I could forget Empire again.

Next guesses: Solar Striker, Alleyway, and Pac-Man. Or three puzzle games, since they're everywhere in the Gameboy library.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 21st, 2020, 3:42 pm

Here's Hoping for the Donkey Kong Land series, though that one should also include the DKC port on the GBC, given that it is based on the same engine.

There's also the Arcade Classic games, of which only a couple have been reviewed thus far (Arcade Classic 1, 2 and 3 haven't been reviewed yet, to my knowledge, and Classic 3 has Galaga/Galaxian, one of the best on the system). #4 was already reviewed (Defender/Joust).

And if we're going with Trio "sets," there were 3 Star Trek games on the Game Boy - Star Trek 25th Anniversary (a good Ultra Games (Konami) shooter/adventure game), Star Trek - The Next Generation (blah) and Star Trek Generations - Beyond the Nexus (a VERY bad version of the Star Trek Next Generations Game Boy game; good luck getting past the first Tholian attack without frustration or boredom kicking in...).

There's also Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, Wario Land 2 and Wario Land 3.

And Tetris 2, Tetris Blast, Tetris Attack...

Assuming only GB/C, not Advance... Though for Advance, the only two sets of 3 I can think of are the three main TMNT GBA games and the DKC Advance Trilogy...

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » January 21st, 2020, 7:13 pm

So it was the TMNT gameboy trilogy.....I guess it had to happen sooner or later. I've done a review on the 3rd game. I was more generous, while the Critic was more critical.....guess I'll just have to take it.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » January 21st, 2020, 7:25 pm

Well... how 'bout that 8-)

jon

Postby jon » January 21st, 2020, 8:31 pm

I was hoping for some baseball games. I played a baseball game on the Gameboy once and it was amazing.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 21st, 2020, 8:42 pm

jon wrote:I was hoping for some baseball games. I played a baseball game on the Gameboy once and it was amazing.

Which game by chance? I played several good ones on GBA and one or two on GBC that were good, though I don't recall any good classic GB baseball games.

jon

Postby jon » January 21st, 2020, 8:59 pm

It was a behind the batter view. I think it was Extra Bases or maybe Baseball. I'm pretty sure the Gameboy Baseball was better than the NES one, which despite being bad was still kind of fun.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 21st, 2020, 9:09 pm

jon wrote:It was a behind the batter view. I think it was Extra Bases or maybe Baseball. I'm pretty sure the Gameboy Baseball was better than the NES one, which despite being bad was still kind of fun.

Would not have taken much... I recall not enjoying Ken Griffey Jr MLB on GB, though I need to check if a Frank Thomas Big Hurt GB version was ever made.

There were several decent baseball games on GameGear and a decent one on NGPC. Don't recall if the Wonderswan had one. Once the GBA arrived, the good ones were close to their 16-bit forefathers.

Return to “Video Games General”