What was the challenge you just couldn't beat, no matter how hard you tried?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ThePixelatedGenocide

What was the challenge you just couldn't beat, no matter how hard you tried?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 21st, 2020, 12:30 pm

Just curious where the many game overs in our game libraries are located.

Also, feel free to include any ridiculous challenge you eventually did beat much later, if there's a good story attached.

goldenband

Re: What was the challenge you couldn't beat?

Postby goldenband » January 21st, 2020, 12:44 pm

There aren't too many games I've really tried to beat and haven't been able to. Usually if I can sense that a game's expectations are unreasonable (and I'm not just missing something), I just bail out and play something else.

The only two I can think of are Qbillion for Game Boy and Shadow of the Beast II for Genesis. On Qbillion, I spent hours trying to figure out the last two puzzles, and didn't have any luck. It's on my list to get back to, and try again.

Shadow of the Beast II, I beat on lower difficulties, but despite numerous attempts I couldn't crack Ridiculous difficulty (speaking of "ridiculous challenges"!). So I guess I did beat it, but not on the highest setting.

As for beating a ridiculous challenge? Finishing Dragon's Lair for NES felt pretty darn good. So did getting a perfect score in Pitfall!, in my case the Intellivision version.

ActRaiser

Re: What was the challenge you just couldn't beat, no matter how hard you tried?

Postby ActRaiser » January 21st, 2020, 2:50 pm

Ninja Gaiden - level 5-2.

Of course, I was about 10 years old at the time. However, that game certainly got the best of me. Maybe, I should try to tackle it again...Or not. :)

CaptainCruch

Re: What was the challenge you just couldn't beat, no matter how hard you tried?

Postby CaptainCruch » January 22nd, 2020, 5:29 am

I couldn't beat the final boss in Donkey Kong Country 3D on 3DS. Yes, the AI can do it for you, but that didn't feel right. Countless tries, but I couldn't do it myself.
Also, the final boss on Rodea: The Sky Soldier on Wii (not Wii U, the Wii version is actually pretty great). But the final boss is horrible! I lost all my patience, so I couldn't finish the game.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » January 22nd, 2020, 8:27 am

I tried Dark Souls 3, and honestly really liked it at first, including the challenge. But then I spent six hours retrying the Abyss Watchers fight. SIX hours repeating the same 5 to 10 minutes, over and over again. I then started thinking about how this was early in the game, so it was only going to get even more difficult and decided that I had plenty of other games that could be playing instead. From time to time I do think about trying the game again, as I really did enjoy it up until that point.

Also, usually around Halloween I'll have the goal in mind to beat a classic Castlevania game. Years ago on the PSP I did manage to beat Rondo (bad ending), but that's about it. I've gotten to the Grim Reaper in the first game and SCIV, and I've made it pretty far into CV3. I haven't given up though. I'm sure I'll get the itch to try again next Halloween.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » January 22nd, 2020, 10:01 am

Caring about a game from this generation.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 22nd, 2020, 12:07 pm

evergreen13 wrote:I tried Dark Souls 3, and honestly really liked it at first, including the challenge. But then I spent six hours retrying the Abyss Watchers fight. SIX hours repeating the same 5 to 10 minutes, over and over again. I then started thinking about how this was early in the game, so it was only going to get even more difficult and decided that I had plenty of other games that could be playing instead. From time to time I do think about trying the game again, as I really did enjoy it up until that point.

Also, usually around Halloween I'll have the goal in mind to beat a classic Castlevania game. Years ago on the PSP I did manage to beat Rondo (bad ending), but that's about it. I've gotten to the Grim Reaper in the first game and SCIV, and I've made it pretty far into CV3. I haven't given up though. I'm sure I'll get the itch to try again next Halloween.

Isn’t that a design mechanic? Play a boss you’re underpowered for, so it urges you to try a different area?

Voor

Postby Voor » January 22nd, 2020, 12:08 pm

Stalvern wrote:Caring about a game from this generation.

Same for me. But I think it has more to do with limited time to play games. It’s like I’d rather spend time playing a game I KNOW I like, versus spending time playing one to figure out if I like it.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » January 22nd, 2020, 12:13 pm

Voor wrote:
evergreen13 wrote:I tried Dark Souls 3, and honestly really liked it at first, including the challenge. But then I spent six hours retrying the Abyss Watchers fight. SIX hours repeating the same 5 to 10 minutes, over and over again. I then started thinking about how this was early in the game, so it was only going to get even more difficult and decided that I had plenty of other games that could be playing instead. From time to time I do think about trying the game again, as I really did enjoy it up until that point.

Isn’t that a design mechanic? Play a boss you’re underpowered for, so it urges you to try a different area?

lol probably. I never bothered going elsewhere even after those six hours of banging my head against a wall. That's part of the reason why I think about trying the game out again.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 22nd, 2020, 2:07 pm

Was on the I-405 to San Diego. Needed urgent Pee, scale of urgency was 9/10 rapidly escalating towards 10/10. Miles from nearest gas station. Traffic jam. Was complaining and whining. I got myself pumped I would hold off and beat it by sheer willpower. I promised God I would mend my ways. Half an hour later I unloaded into a plastic bottle. Could not beat that Pee.

Video gaming wise, Ghost and Goblins, level six, shield weapon, two red devils, game over.

Return to “Classic Gaming”