2020/1/15: Nintendo Switch: Snow Moto Racing Freedom, Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Dogman

Re: 2020/1/15: Nintendo Switch: Snow Moto Racing Freedom, Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King

Postby Dogman » January 19th, 2020, 6:41 pm

I heard there's a ripped ROM of Aladdin "the Final Cut" version from this compilation out there; turns out it's an actual real Genesis ROM they slapped on the disc. So if you have a flash cart you can alternatively play this version on real hardware and get all the benefits of using a CRT, no border, real Genesis controller, etc.

Atariboy

Re: 2020/1/15: Nintendo Switch: Snow Moto Racing Freedom, Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King

Postby Atariboy » January 20th, 2020, 11:41 am

I bought the PS4 version of the Disney collection and feel like it's fine. Pretty limited scope, but it's well put together for the most part for what it is.

One thing I'd like to say if someone stumbles across what I've read, are concerns of a large mandatory patch online. Saw claims at Neogaf before getting it that made it sound like the game wasn't really on the disc for the XB1/PS4, but nothing downloaded for me on the PS4 version.

The game was 100% on the disc and at least as of the latter part of December when I was playing through it, there hasn't even been a patch yet. No downloading happened of any sort and the install took just seconds.

I wonder if the Critic knows about the Game Boy games on here? Assuming they were carried over to the Switch version, no mention was made of them in the review. Nothing spectacular with those two inclusions, but it was still nice to see them included here (And that they even included a Super Game Boy color mode).
Last edited by Atariboy on January 21st, 2020, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 20th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Thanks for the info Atariboy.

One reason I gravitate towards the Switch versions is because they usually contain pretty complete versions not requiring a patch. Something about being on a cart instead of a disc.

Game Boy versions? I did not see those while perusing the menu, but it's possible I missed them.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 21st, 2020, 4:24 am

They're a bit hidden thanks to the somewhat weak menu design of this collection.

Going off my memory of the game select screen from a month ago, there are button icons spread across the bottom of the screen explaining what each menu button does and one of those says "Bonus Games". Hitting that button brings up the Game Boy games and the button function is then relabeled as "Console Games" or something to that effect.

My PS4 is disconnected at the moment, but I believe on PS4 the button to do all of this with was the triangle button. So perhaps give the X button a push on the Switch next time you fire it up.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 25th, 2020, 10:45 pm

Atariboy - I finally got around to trying these, and just like you said, they are buried under the "bonus games" menu. I would have never even seen that. Thanks.

I'll probably go back and tweak the review, but frankly these game don't really add much value to the collection. While the animation in those games is good by Game Boy standards, the controls lag and there's a lot of slowdown. Especially after playing the Genesis versions, trying to play these is painful.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 26th, 2020, 6:44 am

Yeah, I agree. They're not anything I'm personally going to spend much time on.

It was cool though to see the developers going to the bother to include the Game Boy counterparts. So I give them bonus points for the effort since no reviewer scored this game higher because these were here.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 19th, 2021, 2:02 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Atariboy - I finally got around to trying these, and just like you said, they are buried under the "bonus games" menu. I would have never even seen that. Thanks.

I'll probably go back and tweak the review, but frankly these game don't really add much value to the collection. While the animation in those games is good by Game Boy standards, the controls lag and there's a lot of slowdown. Especially after playing the Genesis versions, trying to play these is painful.

I booted the Disney Classic version recently and went to play Lion King (GB), and found it was a lot easier to play without ye old Motion Blur that I had when I was a kid. Shame the GBC version of Aladdin was not included, just the SGB verison.

On a different note, it was announced today that the Disney Classic Games will be rebraned an future copies will include the Jungle Book games (presumably the SNES/Genesis game, and probably the GB release; no idea if the NES version will appear). No date was announced, though this would be a welcome addition (provided the games already bought have a patch that adds the games); I've tried emulating the SNES and Genesis Jungle Book games to try them out, and the emulators I tried HATE those games for some reason (graphic flicker and screen glitches that are not in any review I've ever read). Also hope the GB Jungle Book is included, as I've only tried that version for a few minutes from a cousin's copy at one family get-together in the 90s.

Return to “Review Feedback”