2020/1/28: Playstation 4: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/1/28: Playstation 4: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 28th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Check out my latest Star Wars game review.
Do you think it's too long?

newmodelarmy

Re: 2020/1/28: Playstation 4: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Postby newmodelarmy » January 29th, 2020, 6:03 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Check out my latest Star Wars game review.

Not at all. Great review. I have been waiting for this one. I have this game but have not had a chance to fire it up yet, I am looking forward to it. About half way down it reads "I like the simplicity Fallen Order", should read "I like the simplicity of Fallen Order".

Anyway, thanks for posting this one.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 29th, 2020, 9:14 am

Star Wars games aren't my thing, but this one still sounds interesting. And the review length isn't too long at all. I think newer games are more complex and just naturally need larger reviews... keep in mind, most websites do like a 3-page review for a game like this, and you managed to pull it off in one paragraph. Plus, I always feel like it's better to say a little too much than not say enough. Not that that happened here.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 29th, 2020, 9:45 am

My first reaction was to think "I'd have given it an A-." But then I remembered how many glitches I ran into (a couple that made it impossible to progress) and how easy it is to play the levels out of order and get discouraged, and I decided that, yeah, a B is just about right.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 29th, 2020, 1:20 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Check out my latest Star Wars game review.

Long reviews? Can't say I've ever seen long reviews on this site; the more detail you give, the more I get a feel for whether or not I want to look at a game I haven't played before.

In the case of Fallen Order, the review left me wishing that EA would get over their hatred of Nintendo and release a few games on the Switch; if they made a Star Wars game on the Switch half as good as Fallen Order sounds, I'd be all over it... Ob well, I can always dream...

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 29th, 2020, 1:22 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:My first reaction was to think "I'd have given it an A-." But then I remembered how many glitches I ran into (a couple that made it impossible to progress) and how easy it is to play the levels out of order and get discouraged, and I decided that, yeah, a B is just about right.

Game ending bug at the end? Frustrating, but at least the game seems to be playable. Compare to Lego Star Wars II on the DS, where whole chunks of the game can unload/glitch out and prevent you from continuing (or in one level, making a bottomless pit despawn the kill plane and leave you unable to progress and not allow you to quit out without resetting... I hated that version...).

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 29th, 2020, 1:39 pm

MSR1701 wrote:Game ending bug at the end?

I haven't beaten the game yet. The one that stopped me for the longest was the elevator on Kashyyyk that leads to the AT-ST fight. After dying once, the elevator didn't go back downstairs, and since there was no way to call it back myself I was stuck there. I eventually got it working again by running through that entire part of the level a second time.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » January 29th, 2020, 2:19 pm

The important thing is that it shipped in time to coincide with the release of the new SW movie. Bugs can always be 'squashed' post-release :-)

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 29th, 2020, 3:42 pm

C64_Critic wrote:The important thing is that it shipped in time to coincide with the release of the new SW movie. Bugs can always be 'squashed' post-release :-)

This is a VERY true statement...

I've been rereading old copies of Retro Gamer and it is interesting to read on high profile licenced games such as Disney's Aladdin and Lion King, where the game had to be designed, coded, tested and vetted for approval (which checked for bugs, playability and such) to make a tight release window with an event (in the case of those two games, the VHS release). For Disney's Aladdin, the normal vetting of Sega of Japan, Sega of Europe and Sega of America tested the game at the same time instead of one after the other, which was a very odd process.

The crutch of downloadable patches for developers and publishers means a break for getting the game out, at the cost of the consumer's enjoyment. Another example of this would be SNK's Heroine Tag Team Frenzy on the Switch has a *3GB* patch to bring performance up to par with the other versions...

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » January 29th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Review seems fair enough. I just left Kashyyyk and back on Zeffo, lost and can't find a crash site. I've seen numerous bugs too. But it is 100% Star Wars! Enjoying the game but I'm not very good at it.

Return to “Review Feedback”