2020/2/1: NES: Magic Johnson's Fast Break, Rollergames

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/2/1: NES: Magic Johnson's Fast Break, Rollergames

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 1st, 2020, 12:14 pm

Hope you enjoy my latest set of NES reviews! Let me know.

ASalvaro

Re: 2020/2/1: NES: Magic Johnson's Fast Break, Rollergames

Postby ASalvaro » February 1st, 2020, 2:05 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Hope you enjoy my latest set of NES reviews! Let me know.

that's the nicest D- review i've ever seen lol
the Amiga version was decent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io4QMlnrOq8

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 1st, 2020, 6:57 pm

Nice - glad you got around to trying Rollergames! I think your review is totally spot-on and I agree with the score. I also agree that the insta-death pits is the biggest flaw with the game. Easily a B or higher if the developers didn't make that huge mistake.. it really kills the flow and the fun. I eventually gave up on the game, because the death pits prevented me from progressing. But otherwise, it's a pretty cool mix of genres... like Double Dragon on roller skates, plus platforming. Apparently it's based on a TV show of the same name that aired from 1989-1990, when roller derby was making a comeback. Gotta love the awful translation too.. the opening cutscene is such bad English that it's pretty funny to watch.

I could ramble on and on about my thoughts on this game, but I already did that in the Now Playing forum last year lol. So I'll just post the link here if anyone is curious about more details:
https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 12&t=17583

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 1st, 2020, 7:54 pm

I don't think I ever paid attention to the intro, but I just watched it and it is pretty funny.

Villain: "Enter my zone and you'll never leave."

jon

Postby jon » February 1st, 2020, 8:10 pm

Magic Johnson’s Fast Break was a game that my brother and I looked forward to. We played it on Dos it was ok maybe a little above average

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » February 1st, 2020, 9:42 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Nice - glad you got around to trying Rollergames! I think your review is totally spot-on and I agree with the score. I also agree that the insta-death pits is the biggest flaw with the game. Easily a B or higher if the developers didn't make that huge mistake.. it really kills the flow and the fun. I eventually gave up on the game, because the death pits prevented me from progressing. But otherwise, it's a pretty cool mix of genres... like Double Dragon on roller skates, plus platforming. Apparently it's based on a TV show of the same name that aired from 1989-1990, when roller derby was making a comeback. Gotta love the awful translation too.. the opening cutscene is such bad English that it's pretty funny to watch.

The absence of checkpoints is punishing but it's fun once you memorize the levels and can get far without a death. I actually was able to beat it without dying after some practice. It's also very short. If they made it any easier it would be too quick to complete. BTW, I recommend using Hot Flash.

I'm glad that the Critic liked it. That's a higher grade than he gave TMNT2.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » February 2nd, 2020, 1:43 am

One of my cousins had MJFB for the NES back in the day and we only played it together a single time because I absolutely wouldn't shut up about how terrible I thought it was (something I NEVER did before or since). I don't think we even made it through a full game before he simply turned off the console and walked out of the room. Double Dribble was our usual head-to-head basketball game back and this felt like a massive downgrade. I'll watch a few minutes on Youtube to see the Magic Johnson bits (which I don't remember at all). The four-player feature is cool, at least. Maybe the DOS version is superior?

I remember that Rollergames had a full walkthrough in Nintendo Power and yet I never saw it to buy or rent and never heard anyone else ever mention it before now. I'm a sucker for beat-em-ups and this sounds like a unique one so I'll have to try it out.

Return to “Review Feedback”