New handheld with physical carts - Evercade

General and high profile video game topics.
noah98

New handheld with physical carts - Evercade

Postby noah98 » February 2nd, 2020, 8:58 am

This system looks promising:

https://youtu.be/hHOchWVYe-E

1. Physical cartridges
2. Fully licensed
3. Defaults to 4:3
4. Affordable
5. Video out

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: New handheld with physical carts

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 2nd, 2020, 9:30 am

Thanks for the link! This thing is called the Evercade.
I had never heard of it before, but now I think I might want it!
I probably already own most of the games, but I really love the concept.

noah98

Re: New handheld with physical carts - Evercade

Postby noah98 » February 2nd, 2020, 5:54 pm

Same here, probably own most of the games already! I really like the clamshell cases and color manuals for the cartridges. I don't have some of the newer games from Megacat studios like Coffee Crisis. I feel like I should support stuff like this to encourage more of it.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » February 3rd, 2020, 6:26 am

I think it’s a cool idea, and there are games I want, but—I’m getting a real FC Twin vibe from it. It looks cheap. I’ll wait to read impressions about the build quality before I make the leap.

noah98

Postby noah98 » February 3rd, 2020, 7:15 pm

This review goes more in depth about build quality:

https://youtu.be/x0hYb9_U6oE

This definitely looks like it is well made, and not a cheap Chinese clone console.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 4th, 2020, 10:29 am

I would also recommend the recent Retro Gamer issue that features the system:

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/ ... issue-201/

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 5th, 2020, 4:35 am

I post on Atari Museum on FB. I posted about this and genuinely I am interested. It is available in the UK and has quite a few Atari 7800 games. Which have never been available on any of the flashback consoles nor any of the compilations. I got a lot of gype for that post. So I am glad to see this one, with the rest of us just looking at it like Okay. I am interested. I am actually very interested.

Also I can get to play the Critics favourite.. Planet Smashers. I know he is going to be thrilled to have the chance to play it on the move!! Even better you can connect it to your TV.

MajorTom_Coming_Home

Postby MajorTom_Coming_Home » February 8th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Out of curiosity, did the 2600 or 7800 have anything more than a token presence in your part of the world? The 2600 was huge in the USA like Pickup Trucks, Guns, and Apple pie but the 7800 was released by Atari to get whatever scraps and crumbs were left over from the NES. I doubt it ever had more than 10% of the market share and it was probably more like 5%. After the 1983 North American Video Game Crash Atari decided to put the already manufactured 7800 units in a warehouse and didn't bother to release the system. Later on when the NES proved video game consoles would still sell Jack Tramiel dusted them off and threw them to the wolf that was Nintendo knowing the 7800 would be a very distant 2nd or 3rd on the market. I think it actually did make a modest profit. It's too bad the NES hardware was not as reliable as the 7800 or 4 switch 2600 woodie hardware.

BlasteroidAli wrote:I post on Atari Museum on FB. I posted about this and genuinely I am interested. It is available in the UK and has quite a few Atari 7800 games. Which have never been available on any of the flashback consoles nor any of the compilations. I got a lot of gype for that post. So I am glad to see this one, with the rest of us just looking at it like Okay. I am interested. I am actually very interested.

Also I can get to play the Critics favourite.. Planet Smashers. I know he is going to be thrilled to have the chance to play it on the move!! Even better you can connect it to your TV.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 15th, 2020, 6:46 am

the 2600 was a big part of my late teen early 20s. It was successful in the UK. The Intellivison was a distance second until Colecovision turned up then it was a straight battle between cbs and Atari. The 5200 was never released in the UK. The 7800 did not make an appearance until 1989. I never saw one being sold. I got one in later years and have quite a few games for it and some that the critic really hates. I liked it and if they had released it in 1984 I think it would have been a huge hit and sunk Nintendo. Though I guess the rest is history now.

Now they are going to be selling a Lynx cart as well which is such a great idea. I always thought that Nu Atari did nothing for their games. So this is the best thing that has happened for us Atari lovers in ages.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 16th, 2020, 10:58 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:Now they are going to be selling a Lynx cart as well which is such a great idea. I always thought that Nu Atari did nothing for their games. So this is the best thing that has happened for us Atari lovers in ages.

This is another really exciting development. When I started collecting in the late 90's, old games were cheap and ubiquitous. Now they tend to so rare and expensive, it's hard to collect unless you focus on particular systems.

The Evercade will give those who appreciate retro games instant collections without having to break the bank.

And even those like me who already own most of the games, the physical nature of the system makes it extremely attractive as a collectable.

Return to “Video Games General”