Nintendo Switch Lite - are you getting one?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Voor

Re: Nintendo Switch Lite - are you getting one?

Postby Voor » February 13th, 2020, 5:11 pm

MSR1701 wrote:I recently got one after sacking my Vita collection... I am only now realizing just how much I have been missing... Fire Emblem Three Houses, Breath of the Wild, Sonic Mania on the go, and that's just the game's I've really put time into, nevermind the backlog I've started to build up...

I do have an issue with the system heating up from high intensity games (Breath of the Wild, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Tales of Vesperia), and for said games the battery does go seemingly fast (then again, I tend to loose time with these games...). The battery does seem to charge fast, and the system is quite comfortable to hold, though I am having to get used to having two shoulder buttons again (haven't had a New 3DS in a while, and I haven't had a system with four shoulder buttons in ages...).

I would HIGHLY advise getting at least a 128GB micro SD card for data storage (I have a 256GB micro sd), as some game patches eat a good bit of data, and having digital games (D/Generation!!!) on hand while on the go is great!

Any issues with drifting?

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » February 13th, 2020, 6:07 pm

This is a resounding NO for me. A few months ago I purchased the real Switch, one that I can hook up to a proper size and quality screen. Handheld is not ideal for me. I recently purchased an attachment for my New 2DS XL so that I can play it for more than 15 minutes without my hands cramping. This attachment gives some bulk to the unit so it more closely resembles the form factor of a PS controller. The Switch I've tried as a handheld and it's way worse for me. Ergonomic is the last word I'd use to describe any handheld game system. Just for the record, I'm of average height (or maybe below), and my hands are not big. Regardless of these issues, the only reason I can imagine getting this Switch Lite is to save some money.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 13th, 2020, 7:56 pm

No Drifting that I have experienced

Voor

Postby Voor » February 13th, 2020, 9:13 pm

Lucifixion wrote:This is a resounding NO for me. A few months ago I purchased the real Switch, one that I can hook up to a proper size and quality screen. Handheld is not ideal for me. I recently purchased an attachment for my New 2DS XL so that I can play it for more than 15 minutes without my hands cramping. This attachment gives some bulk to the unit so it more closely resembles the form factor of a PS controller. The Switch I've tried as a handheld and it's way worse for me. Ergonomic is the last word I'd use to describe any handheld game system. Just for the record, I'm of average height (or maybe below), and my hands are not big. Regardless of these issues, the only reason I can imagine getting this Switch Lite is to save some money.

Interesting. I’m way more interested in a handheld. Before I gave it away, I REALLY liked my 2DS. Obviously the small screens are the drawback, but it was exceptionally comfortable, particularly for games that require heavy use of shoulder buttons, like Mario Kart (which is what I played probably 70% of the time). So, I’ve been also considering a 2DS XL, but it just does not look comfortable, especially the shoulder buttons and position of analog stick.

What model grip did you get? Because, as much as I’d like to pick up the XL, I can tell it’s going to be essential for me. My brother has a grip for his Switch, and he said he can’t imagine the Lite being comfortable.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 14th, 2020, 9:03 am

I do have to say that on the Lite, there are some games (Fire Emblem) where some text was obviously set for TV viewing, not for smaller screens. Not a huge issue unless your eyes are bad (like mine...).

I've been a portable gamer ever since I got my first Game Boy back in 1990. I have played consoles over the years, but have always preferred portables. I never had issues with my New 3DS XL when I had it (other than selling it before Nintendo made the digital library's save to your account...).

The biggest issue I have with the Lite Switch is that there are rare occasions where I have the time at home that I wished I could play the system on my TV. Then again, I usually don't have the time to sit in front of a TV to play a game for long.

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » February 14th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Voor wrote:What model grip did you get? Because, as much as I’d like to pick up the XL, I can tell it’s going to be essential for me. My brother has a grip for his Switch, and he said he can’t imagine the Lite being comfortable.

Biogenik 2DS XL Grip Stand. Purchased at EbGames for $14.99. It makes a world of difference for me. Bought one for the wife as well and she agrees that it makes long gaming sessions far more comfortable.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 6th, 2020, 12:13 am

I’ve had a switch for about a month, and I feel that I can say that if I didn’t have a family to share with, the Lite would have been perfect for me. Unless I play with family, I vastly prefer playing as a handheld.

I think I would have preferred the traditional D-pad, and I don’t think I would have minded the smaller screen (considering I played on a 2DS for over a year).

scotland

Postby scotland » May 16th, 2020, 11:48 am

Thanks for all the opinions on this. I like portable gaming, and my gaming sessions are usually brief.

m0zart

Postby m0zart » June 24th, 2020, 5:22 pm

I just recently bought the standard v2 Switch and I love it. Very different from previous Nintendo consoles... not the least of which is the simple fact that I don’t hear endless and repetitive elevator music when I peruse the console or especially when I go to their online store.

One downside is that I find it awkward to disconnect it from the TV, detach the joycons from my handle, and put them back into the Switch before leaving the house. So yes, I seriously considered getting a Switch Lite as my handheld and keep the regular for my TV.

The problem is that unless I made the Lite my primary console, I wouldn’t be able to play my downloaded games on it without an internet connection to silently verify my license to play. I find that restriction a bit absurd for a console/handheld that doesn’t have a SIM card. I decided it would be too much hassle.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 25th, 2020, 7:36 am

The biggest issue I have with the Lite is that, as Nintendo warns, some games will burn the battery faster than others (looking at you, Zelda - Breath of the Wild). This has made playing Pokemon Shield quite interesting...

I usually use lower screen illumination and lower sound to get more mileage out of my system battery (and Wifi off), though it is evident when the battery is being pushed when the system becomes QUITE warm.

Still, I've been having more fun on the Switch than most systems that I can recall of late; lots of Nostalgia to be had with this system, be it Nintendo titles, Retro-inspired titles (Sonic Mania), or all-new gems. All in a portable shell. :-)

Return to “Modern Gaming”