Good joysticks for the Switch?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Good joysticks for the Switch?

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 14th, 2020, 8:38 pm

I just got the Psikyo Shooting Star Alpha collection. Loving it but could use a good old fashioned arcade-style joystick.

I see there are a few options on Amazon. Any recommendations?

snakeboy

Re: Good joysticks for the Switch?

Postby snakeboy » February 15th, 2020, 9:28 am

If you already own an arcade stick for the PS4, PS3, Xbox One, or Xbox 360, you might want to just get an adapter like the Mayflash Magic-NS:

https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Magic-N ... ash&sr=8-3

One nice thing about this one is that it works with both wired and bluetooth controllers. I have one, and while I haven't tried it with an arcade stick, it does work well with my Dualshock 4.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 15th, 2020, 9:33 am

So you're telling me I can plug my old Street Fighter IV Xbox 360 controller into my Switch? This sounds too good to be true! Thanks for letting me know!!

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » February 15th, 2020, 9:38 am

I believe so. At least according to the description you can:

"The wired PS4, PS3, Nintendo Switch Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox 360 Controllers and fight sticks, and standard wired USB Controllers like Logitech rumble gamepad F510 and F310 can be connected to your Nintendo Switch, PS3 and PC system. it also supports NEOGEO mini. Plug and play."

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 15th, 2020, 10:30 am

8BitDo makes an interesting looking adapter for GameCube and Wii Classic Controllers.

https://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/

Might be a good choice if you have an arcade stick or want to use some of the other controllers in those families on the Switch (Including NES/SNES Classic Edition controllers).

I'm not yet a Switch owner, but hope to utilize this with my SNES Classic Edition arcade stick that I've upgraded the stick and buttons on when I do buy a Switch.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » February 15th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Atariboy wrote:

Ooh, I want that. I kind of like the size and even the button layout with Y B A in the same row. And it looks like you can easily swap in Sanwa parts.

And I just recently picked up that 8bitdo adapter to use with my Wii classic controllers. It works really well.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 23rd, 2020, 11:44 am

Got my Mayflash Magic-NS Wireless controller adapter! I got my Street Fighter IV wired controller working with my Switch, so I can play my Psikyo shooter collections using an arcade-style stick.

It's working great - thanks to those who recommended it! Cheap too.

I did have to fiddle with it a little - there's a little button I had to press to put it into Switch mode (red).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 23rd, 2020, 11:56 am

I did notice the A and B buttons were swapped, but checking the instructions I learned you can switch this by holding start and B in for three seconds. Works like a charm!

Only thing is, it doesn't remember this so I'll need to do this every time.

noah98

Postby noah98 » February 23rd, 2020, 3:49 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I did notice the A and B buttons were swapped, but checking the instructions I learned you can switch this by holding start and B in for three seconds. Works like a charm!

Only thing is, it doesn't remember this so I'll need to do this every time.

Mine is coming Monday :D

GTS

Postby GTS » February 23rd, 2020, 8:55 pm

Critic, did you know you can also play that game in tate mode (rotate 90 degrees)?

Return to “Modern Gaming”