Collectorvision Phoenix?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
HawgWyld

Collectorvision Phoenix?

Postby HawgWyld » February 21st, 2020, 9:59 am

I did search the forums here for the Collectorvision Phoenix and couldn't find any referenced to it. If this topic has been brought up, forgive me for digging it up again.

At any rate, I ran across something called the CollectorVision Phoenix console (https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-phoenix/) which is compatible with the ColecoVision, has an HDMI port, etc. Has anyone here gotten one of those things? $199 for a console to replace the one I used to have doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

Atariboy

Re: Collectorvision Phoenix?

Postby Atariboy » February 21st, 2020, 11:49 am

Alas, it has lots of issues with the HDMI port and tv compatibility. Hopefully it's resolved someday, but no improvements have happened in this area in the months since it first launched.

It's also 480p only, just in case your HDTV does a poor job of upscaling that resolution.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 21st, 2020, 4:06 pm

Has it even been released yet? The page shows it only available for preorder.

I love the concept because it's hard to find an old Colecovision that still works.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 21st, 2020, 7:23 pm

The first run came out last Fall. They're trying to secure enough preorders for the 2nd run. I believe they're close, but not quite there yet.

Contrary to my earlier post, it seems like a solid effort (Although the bonus Atari 2600 core seems a bit lackluster, my impression of posts at AtariAge is that the primary Colecovision functionality is quite close to 100%). But everyone considering it should be aware that it's not 100% HDTV friendly in its current state.

I believe (But don't hold me to it since I've just casually been following the thread at AtariAge) that their main problem with tv compatibility with the Phoenix is that many HDTV's expect a perfect 60 fps signal through HDMI and this instead is outputting at the original refresh rate which is ever so slightly off that standard. Some displays don't mind, but some do.
Last edited by Atariboy on February 22nd, 2020, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 22nd, 2020, 7:44 am

I don't understand the HDMI compatibility issue. Does this mean it won't display on my TV or the controls will lag, or what?
I'm seriously thinking about preordering.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 22nd, 2020, 1:52 pm

Some people just don't get a picture on their television. The Collectorvision Phoenix GitHub page that's for Phoenix owners to report their issues so the developers will see it, says this about the HDTV compatibility issue.

Some TVs do not like the current 25MHz pixel clock used with the CV core. We are working to fix the core to move to 720x480p with 27Mhz pixel clock (which is what the 2600 core is using).

So at worse if you don't get a picture, you hopefully should soon be fine when that update is rolled out. I would hope/expect to see such a major update before people start receiving the 2nd wave of Phoenix systems, but that's just personal speculation on how I think they should handle it.

Then some other people seem to have a separate HDMI issue with the Phoenix not wanting to shut down. Collectorvision says this about that.

Some TVs cause power to backfeed over the HDMI cable keeping the system from powering down fully. When the system is turned back on it will not start properly. This usually results in a white screen with garbage.

The easiest fix for this is to use an HDMI switch in-between the Phoenix and TV/Monitor. Sometimes inserting an original CV game like DK Jr or changing the HDMI input on the TV with the remote can fully power it down.

And if you want to get an idea of other issues people are having with their Phoenix system, here's the GitHub link for you to look over.

https://github.com/CollectorVision/Phoe ... ion/issues

There's not a lot of activity, so it would seem most people are enjoying a problem-free experience with their launch system.

VideoGameCritic wrote:the controls will lag

There's no inherent lag with a fpga game system such as this.

The Phoenix, the Retro USB AVS (A HD NES), and the various NES/SNES/Genesis systems from Analogue are essentially original hardware replicated on a reprogrammable fpga board. So just like original hardware, no input lag is created (unlike with traditional software emulation).

The only input lag will be what your television set adds.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » February 22nd, 2020, 5:22 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm seriously thinking about preordering.

I may do the same thing. If I can get away with it. My wife is already anticipating the Amico, as well as perhaps the new Xbox and/or PS5. Another system might be pushing it...

noah98

Postby noah98 » February 23rd, 2020, 7:37 am

I'm definitely buying the Amico. I've already preordered the Turbografx mini. I'm hoping the full size C64 comes to America soon as well (only in Europe now).

The ColecoVision is frustrating me lately. I AV modded mine, and had to replace the power switch as well. I've gone through two power bricks already (not cheap), and now it's acting up again with lines in the screen and corrupted graphics. I just ordered the Colusb (modern power adapter replacement) from Germany, and it cost me $46. It should be here soon, and if it doesn't fix the problem, I may be done with original hardware. If that's the case, I'll have to order new socketed ram and figure out how to desolder and solder in the new ram. That wouldn't be so bad, if the solder traces on the ColecoVision weren't so fragile.

So, if all else fails, I may have to order the Collectorvision Phoenix. I really like the Adam colored version, but $50 extra seems a bit much.

The great irony is that I already own a Mega SG, and with the custom firmware, it plays ColecoVision beautifully. Full 1080p, excellent sound, and a Sega Genesis arcade stick or wireless controller. The only downside is that they haven't made a cartridge adapter for it, so it's roms only. Still, since this is FPGA, it's hardware, not software emulation, so it's about as accurate as you can get. Even though the Collectorvision Phoenix is the same, that system is stuck with 480p. The Mega SG even supports the super game module too.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » February 23rd, 2020, 12:52 pm

noah98 wrote:The ColecoVision is frustrating me lately. I AV modded mine, and had to replace the power switch as well. I've gone through two power bricks already (not cheap), and now it's acting up again with lines in the screen and corrupted graphics. I just ordered the Colusb (modern power adapter replacement) from Germany, and it cost me $46. It should be here soon, and if it doesn't fix the problem, I may be done with original hardware. If that's the case, I'll have to order new socketed ram and figure out how to desolder and solder in the new ram. That wouldn't be so bad, if the solder traces on the ColecoVision weren't so fragile.

They didn't make those things well, did they? Mine died about 20 years ago -- just turned it on, heard a pop, saw some blue smoke rise from the ColecoVision and that was it.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 23rd, 2020, 5:59 pm

noah98 wrote:IThe great irony is that I already own a Mega SG, and with the custom firmware, it plays ColecoVision beautifully. Full 1080p, excellent sound, and a Sega Genesis arcade stick or wireless controller. The only downside is that they haven't made a cartridge adapter for it, so it's roms only.

There's a far worse issue in my book.

You can't use Colecovision controllers on it, despite the Genesis using the same style of Atari controller port. You instead need to use convoluted button shortcuts with a Genesis gamepad. Hitting the #9 keypad button for instance requires you to hit Y + Z + Down on a Genesis controller.

As a fellow Mega Sg owner, I've actually gone through my Colecovision romset and tried to delete all the games that rely on the keypad during gameplay. While it stung to lose some great games like Mouse Trap, I've only kept games that rely on the side buttons (with one or two exceptions like Defender that I felt played okay with the Mega Sg's keypad shortcuts).

At least they mapped the Genesis start button to keypad #1, so it's easy enough to start single player Colecovision games (And the mode button on the Genesis gamepad is keypad #3, which usually is the most difficult single player mode in Colecovision games).

Return to “Classic Gaming”