No one to play games with

General and high profile video game topics.
SuperiorShark

No one to play games with

Postby SuperiorShark » February 22nd, 2020, 7:56 pm

It just occurred to me today that despite having this large video game collection at home with tons of fun multiplayer games across several systems that I have virtually no one to enjoy them with. Is anybody else in a similar situation? Seems like most people I know are either not interested in games or just live too far away and yeah I know there's online services but I'm talking just more good old fashioned sit down on the couch together and play.

Stalvern

Re: No one to play games with

Postby Stalvern » February 22nd, 2020, 8:36 pm

Maybe make some new friends in your area who like games? It shouldn't be too hard.

jon

Postby jon » February 22nd, 2020, 8:47 pm

I feel the exact same way. People are too caught up in being grownups. A lot of people I think have spouses who get in the way or are just too consumed with having a social life.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » February 22nd, 2020, 11:09 pm

Aside from my younger brother on rare occasions, I would have no one to play multiplayer games with. I’ve played online over the years but between poor internet and poor manners it’s never much fun.

I’d love to play some 4 player PowerStone or even Perfect Dark or TimeSplitters but finding 3 other people to game with would be impossible. Same room gaming was a real blast when I was younger.

IDK about the making more friends part. For a lot of people making new friends past 30 can be challenging. I have zero friends who play video games.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 23rd, 2020, 9:52 am

I routinely get together with some guys from work on Mondays after work. That's a good time because nobody ever has big plans for Monday night. I make it kind of a happy hour/social thing. I'm always sure to have plenty of beer on hand, as well as a variety of games ready to go. Some of these guys aren't even gamers but just like to hang out and take a break from the family.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » February 23rd, 2020, 1:49 pm

This, among other things, is why I divulge my time and money towards games that are largely single player. Plus, I find I enjoy an intriguing story line over needless multiplayer mayhem.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 3rd, 2020, 6:36 am

About once or twice a month I get together we my pals half my age and we get into a good gaming session. My pal used to have lan parties. We no longer do them. His life is more complicated now. I had moved from my home up north and it took a while for me to get a good gaming network set up again.
I have in various times got good gaming networks set up. Then people get married or their partners get jealous and we no longer play games.
Just now I have the occasional once or twice a month sessions.

Once a month I play board games. I am completely useless at them but it is good company.

Though I play gears of war 5. So I guess I get to play games with people but there is no interaction. That is the difference. It was the camaraderie that I liked.
Oh well, as they say in Tron. See you on the gaming grids

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » March 4th, 2020, 8:06 pm

I have this problem. I firmly blame it on living in the small town I live in now.

I come from San Diego, and I am pretty introverted and have a hard time making friends. That is my own weakness of course, but back in the big city I had a small but close group of friends and I made new friends that would come and go from my life. Finding people to play any kind of games with, from PC to console, wasn't a big struggle.

Out here in small town, hickville USA, it has been 8 years and I've met 1 single person that likes gaming in general, he happens to be a retro gamer, we have a lot of the same interests on that point.

Unfortunately, little bit of politics, he is a hardcore Trump loving republican. Sorry but I can't be friends with someone like that, and as I didn't know that until very recently and this guy always brushed off my attempts to retro-game, he's probably looked at my FB page and seen I'm not a conservative years ago. He basically only talks to me when trying to buy some of my old stuff... which I won't sell. And I only talk to him to try to buy old stuff... which he won't sell... so yeah.

That is just one example as well. I could give more of frankly politics and religion ruining making a friendship out here.

On the flip side, people I actually get along with aren't interested in games. When we hang out it's talking business, smoking pot, (In a legal state) maybe doing some sort of handyman project together. My wife isn't a console gamer, and the only games she even plays are WoW and Sims. Both I'm not interested in at all, so no gamer connection there.

It does make it really difficult, because as the Original Poster said, I too have a lot of GREAT multi-player games that just collect dust. Every so many years I'll have my old friends visit and we'll play the Gamecube or something, but that is literally once every several years.

I really do wish I had someone to throw down with on MvC2 or play Virtua Cop with or something like that.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 6th, 2020, 1:15 am

Yep, I have this exact problem. My friends who still game live way too far away for either of us to want to make the drive. I miss the old days!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 6th, 2020, 4:15 pm

As a general rule I don't discuss religion or politics with friends. That's how I KEEP my friends!

Return to “Video Games General”