Most frightening movie moments for you

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Herschie

Re: Most frightening movie moments for you

Postby Herschie » August 28th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Matchstick wrote:Great topic!

I wholeheartedly agree with the feelings for that same scene in The Day After. The whole flick is a pretty tough watch, but yeah, that scene in particular is haaaaarsh. Don't blame you at all for pausing the tape, Herschie.

After the movie, I wanted to watch Family Guy to calm my nerves. Comcast proceeded to troll me with an Emergency Alert System test.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 28th, 2019, 10:29 pm

I was absolutely terrified by the birthday party video in Signs! Definitely the highlight of the film!

jon

Postby jon » September 1st, 2019, 12:01 pm

I am definitely a wimp for bringing this up and more of a wimp for it happening but when I saw the 6th sense with friends at the theatre the part when he’s hiding in the tent in him and his moms house and the girl is begging for help. That scared me even though I was with friends. Also beetle juice when I was a kid in the 80’s was very scary

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » September 1st, 2019, 12:19 pm

jon wrote:I am definitely a wimp for bringing this up and more of a wimp for it happening but when I saw the 6th sense with friends at the theatre the part when he’s hiding in the tent in him and his moms house and the girl is begging for help. That scared me even though I was with friends. Also beetle juice when I was a kid in the 80’s was very scary

Oh yes Beetlejuice, who could forget the waiting room scene, and of course the snake thing on the stairs. The latter still hold up in convincingness and fright factor, not even CGI can top it.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 12th, 2020, 2:03 pm

I know Halloween is over and far away, but I have one other movie to add to my frightening movie moments, The Adventures of Mark Twain, the moment is the Mysterious Stranger segment where Tom, Becky, and Huck encounter a mysterious entity holding a talking mask that changes shape (including a devil and skull!!), creates life and then destroys it with an earthquake. Because of this moment, I feared earthquakes for a while, and yesterday the fear became a reality in my town, though fortunately it was a Magnitude 3 earthquake, I heard what sounded like an explosion that morning but I later heard in the local news it was an earthquake, a first natural disaster for my town having lived there for 3 decades.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 12th, 2020, 8:40 pm

jon wrote:I am definitely a wimp for bringing this up and more of a wimp for it happening but when I saw the 6th sense with friends at the theatre the part when he’s hiding in the tent in him and his moms house and the girl is begging for help. That scared me even though I was with friends. Also beetle juice when I was a kid in the 80’s was very scary

You're not a wimp for being afraid of that Sixth Sense scene. I saw it in the theater and everybody screamed in unison.

sixam

Postby sixam » March 13th, 2020, 8:54 am

Nothing has ever scared me more than the head scene in the first Jaws movie. My whole body recoiled in fright.

GTS

Postby GTS » March 13th, 2020, 9:27 am

The end of Poltergeist, where the bodies come up out of the ground.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » March 13th, 2020, 3:14 pm

In Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Judge Doom's cartoon eyes and then him getting flattened by a steamroller freaked me right out as a kid.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 14th, 2020, 5:36 pm

The Muppet Christmas Carol. And no, it wasn't the Ghost of Christmas Future. It was...that freaking door knocker scene.
Yeah, I'm the kid who got scared by the Muppets.

And speaking of weirdly scary Christmas movies, has anyone scene Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July? Well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlfBz6kAJd8

There was that quicksand scene in The Jungle Book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiOUJGCC_ro

There was Rourke's death in Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTg1uJgQC10

I've never actually seen this movie, but this one scene in The Adventures of Pinocchio was enough to really mess with my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG5nJlUxbKo

People keep bringing up The Neverending Story, but this is the part that spooked me as a kid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_vzG5nYk1I

I can't find a clip of it, but in that old Disney movie Secret Agent Cody Banks, the bad guy swallows an ice cube filled with nanomachines that proceed to eat him from the inside out. For a mostly lighthearted movie, that was a major tonal shift.

Return to “Other Media”