Freedom Planet (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Freedom Planet (Switch)

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 15th, 2020, 5:51 pm

When I started playing Freedom Planet I was FLOORED by how similar it was to the classic Sonic games for the Genesis. I mean, the style, the controls, the stage layouts... everything. There's are loops, springs, gems to collect... even the explosions look and sound the same.

And you know what? I like it!! It's a lot of fun and the pixel art style is appealing.

And when I started thinking about it, I realized that Sega hasn't really done anything with this style of play for a long time. Heck, how long did fans have to lobby just to get Sega to reluctantly release Sonic Mania? If they aren't going to do anything with it, I'm glad somebody else is picking up the slack. Freedom Planet is fun.

velcrozombie

Re: Freedom Planet (Switch)

Postby velcrozombie » March 17th, 2020, 1:45 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:When I started playing Freedom Planet I was FLOORED by how similar it was to the classic Sonic games for the Genesis. I mean, the style, the controls, the stage layouts... everything. There's are loops, springs, gems to collect... even the explosions look and sound the same.

Freedom Planet began as a Sonic fan-game (early versions had Doctor Eggman as the villain, used the ring-based health system and even starred a hedgehog) before the designer got bored and created his own IP. There's a sequel in the works from the same team and it sounds like they are trying to further differentiate the new game from the Sonic brand with additional mechanics and the use of fan feedback from the original. I have the PC version (either from a sale or as part of a bundle) but I've never gotten around to playing it.
Last edited by velcrozombie on March 17th, 2020, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 17th, 2020, 4:38 pm

It's also on the Wii U if you want to check it out there. I think I have it (if not actually played it) :P

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 17th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Thanks for the info guys. The fact that this began as a Sonic fan game is making a lot of sense. That guy really knew what he was doing.

strat

Postby strat » April 4th, 2020, 10:15 pm

It was rereleased on Switch last year (as it happens, my copy is on Wii U - I think about rebuying it just because the Wii U is about five or six more games away from becoming completely redundant). Sonic isn't the only Sega property that gets some love, either.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 5th, 2020, 12:11 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Heck, how long did fans have to lobby just to get Sega to reluctantly release Sonic Mania?

Whaddya asking me for?

Return to “Now Playing”