Can't beat classic hockey

General and high profile video game topics.
Breaker

Re: Can't beat classic hockey

Postby Breaker » March 18th, 2020, 12:03 pm

bluenote wrote:As much as I loved the old '94 NHL hockey, the new ones are still just as good (if not better). I have NHL '15 for PS3 (the newest one I have) and play with my son all the time. You need to turn off penalties, offsides, and icing and turn on the "NHL 94" control scheme and it plays amazing! Lots of fun! Plus, the shootout modes is a lot of fun too.

Critic, you should try playing it like that and I'm sure you'll find it just as fun as the old games.

I'll second this. Playing with the simplified control schemes really brings back the pick-up-and-play fun of the classic genesis hockey games.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » March 18th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Breaker wrote:
bluenote wrote:As much as I loved the old '94 NHL hockey, the new ones are still just as good (if not better). I have NHL '15 for PS3 (the newest one I have) and play with my son all the time. You need to turn off penalties, offsides, and icing and turn on the "NHL 94" control scheme and it plays amazing! Lots of fun! Plus, the shootout modes is a lot of fun too.

Critic, you should try playing it like that and I'm sure you'll find it just as fun as the old games.

I'll second this. Playing with the simplified control schemes really brings back the pick-up-and-play fun of the classic genesis hockey games.

i always turn off icing,fighting & offsides but i leave penalties..i've always done that with my video hockey games and they play much better

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » March 18th, 2020, 2:58 pm

I have such good memories of NHLPA '93. My dad bought it totally out of nowhere for the Mega Drive and it was one of the few games he ever tried to play. I'm not sure which came first, but either that game or the '94 Winter Olympics was what started my interest in hockey. If watching hockey in the Olympics came first then, that would explain why he randomly bought it :)

Most recent game I've owned/played is NHL Legacy Edition on 360 - essentially an NHL 16 roster update IIRC. It's decent but, I just never really felt it ever captured the nature of the game the way EA managed to with, say, FIFA.

Pound for pound I feel the 16-bit titles capture it better with their respective technology for the time. They're still super fun to play, I'll switch between any of the titles from 93-98. They've all got their own charms, be it difference in gameplay or just playing with old teams/rosters, although I'm not really keen on '95. I tried revisiting NHL '99 on PS1 but that one felt dated to me - although it still has one of the best OSTs for a sports title ever.

If you want best of both worlds - there's an NHL '94 team/roster mod for Mega Drive/Genesis emulators. NHL 18 is the most recent mod I'm aware of, although I'm sure it'll get another update once Seattle enters the league. Definitely recommend it - it's a fun novelty to play a 25-year old hockey game with modern players and teams like the Golden Nights and Nashville, etc.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 18th, 2020, 3:32 pm

I have never been a huge fan of hockey (I'm from Georgia), though I did enjoy the NHL94 games on Genesis and Sega CD. There was one arcade-style one I played on the N64 (no clue what it was, it has been WAAAY too long) that I thoroughly enjoyed, though it has to be really fun to get me to sit and play a hockey game.

noah98

Postby noah98 » March 18th, 2020, 7:20 pm

No love for Blades of Steel on the nes? That game is still a lot of fun to play! I also really like Hat Trick in the arcades. The 7800 port of it sucked though. I even think Ice Hockey for the 2600 still holds up.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 18th, 2020, 8:29 pm

I thought NHL Hitz was a lot of fun. Any hockey games on the Switch?

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » March 19th, 2020, 5:45 am

noah98 wrote:No love for Blades of Steel on the nes? That game is still a lot of fun to play! I also really like Hat Trick in the arcades. The 7800 port of it sucked though. I even think Ice Hockey for the 2600 still holds up.

Hat trick is a really fun game.
Also.....Windjammers is similar to hockey. Damn I love Windjammers!!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 19th, 2020, 7:20 am

noah98 wrote:No love for Blades of Steel on the nes? That game is still a lot of fun to play! I also really like Hat Trick in the arcades. The 7800 port of it sucked though. I even think Ice Hockey for the 2600 still holds up.

DOH! Forgot about Blades of Steel... One of the few sports games on the Game Boy (original) that I enjoyed... The NES version was fun as well.

I do recall having one or two hockey games on the Game Gear ages ago, but never played them... If I was playing sports on the GG, it was either Baseball or Football.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » March 19th, 2020, 11:50 am

Ice Hockey on the 2600 is great. So simple, but so fun.

Return to “Video Games General”