Time for The Critic to do a set of reviews based on post-apocalyptic scenarios...

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul Campbell

Re: Time for The Critic to do a set of reviews based on post-apocalyptic scenarios...

Postby Paul Campbell » March 18th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Glad I asked! A couple interesting looking possibilities for me there. Never even heard of the Metro series. Where should I start if I would prefer not to buy an old PS3 or similar older console? I'm always looking for a game to grab me by the seedless grapes and drag me I to a new world. So many games these days can't hold my attention...

C64_Critic

Re: Time for The Critic to do a set of reviews based on post-apocalyptic scenarios...

Postby C64_Critic » March 18th, 2020, 11:02 pm

DrLitch wrote:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat.

Never played this title, but I did play through the original game (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.; Shadow of Chernobyl) and really enjoyed it. I should give this sequel a look!

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » March 19th, 2020, 5:41 am

Paul Campbell wrote:Glad I asked! A couple interesting looking possibilities for me there. Never even heard of the Metro series. Where should I start if I would prefer not to buy an old PS3 or similar older console? I'm always looking for a game to grab me by the seedless grapes and drag me I to a new world. So many games these days can't hold my attention...

Do you have a pc? It regularly goes on sale for about $5-10 dollars. I recommend starting with the first game Metro. They remastered them several years ago and it's called metro Redux.
You can also get these versions on ps4 and Xbox one and even switch i think

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 19th, 2020, 8:55 am

You could play Crystalis for the NES. It's also available on the Switch's subscription service. I started it up the other day. It's not a bad little Zelda like adventure game. The critic has a review for it for his take on it as well.

You could also check out Terranigma. You go around rebuilding the earth after a world ending event takes place.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 19th, 2020, 11:51 am

Well, the Fallout series immediate came to mind for me.

But for a little hidden gem on PS4, Xbox One, and PC, check out "This War of Mine". It's like The Sims set during a war, where you live day-to-day and try to survive, while working to feed and defend yourself and your family. You also have to sneak out at night to forage for food and supplies, and become faced with moral dilemmas such as whether to steal from your neighbors and sometimes even must fight/kill if they catch you. I did a little review about it on the forum here:

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 12&t=16741

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » March 19th, 2020, 2:57 pm

C64_Critic wrote:Never played this title, but I did play through the original game (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.; Shadow of Chernobyl) and really enjoyed it. I should give this sequel a look!

Yeah the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are amazing and Call of Pripyat regularly goes on sale at GOG for under $10. Well worth it, keep a look out. The series would be considered a classic were they released on consoles and for the life of me I have no idea why the developer did not port over. Lots of gamers missed out on this series.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 19th, 2020, 9:11 pm

DrLitch wrote:
C64_Critic wrote:Never played this title, but I did play through the original game (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.; Shadow of Chernobyl) and really enjoyed it. I should give this sequel a look!

Yeah the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are amazing and Call of Pripyat regularly goes on sale at GOG for under $10. Well worth it, keep a look out. The series would be considered a classic were they released on consoles and for the life of me I have no idea why the developer did not port over. Lots of gamers missed out on this series.

Call of Pripyat on sale now for $5.99, whole series for $14.97

https://www.gog.com/game/stalker_call_of_pripyat

CHEEKI BREEKI

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 19th, 2020, 9:13 pm

BioShock, Fallout, Horizon Zero Dawn all fit in this category

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » March 20th, 2020, 3:37 am

I will DEFINITELY be picking up that Switch version of Metro. Exactly what I've been looking for, a story-driven FPS on the Switch that ISN'T just a download code!

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » March 20th, 2020, 5:38 am

Can the little icon for this game category be a roll of toilet paper? :mrgreen: ;)

Return to “Video Games General”