Smashing Pumpkins Season

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Gentlegamer

Re: Smashing Pumpkins Season

Postby Gentlegamer » October 8th, 2019, 9:56 am

The perfect fall band is Type O Negative.

GTS

Postby GTS » October 8th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Smashing Pumpkins is a Halloween band in name only. White Zombie/Rob Zombie works better. They have a lot of clips from horror movies in their songs,and they have entire songs dedicated to horror themes: Living Dead Girl, I Zombie, Dragula. You can kind've dance to them too.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 8th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:The perfect fall band is Type O Negative.

Great band for the fall. I'd add Katatonia and Paradise Lost and some of the Opeth records (Blackwater Park, Damnation, Ghost Reveries). Sisters of Mercy, too.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » October 10th, 2019, 8:02 am

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 22nd, 2020, 2:02 pm

Been listening to Oceania a lot lately. It's comfortably in my top three at this point.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 22nd, 2020, 5:37 pm

I love the song My Love Is Winter.

Also, don't sleep on Monuments to an Elegy. That entire album is catchy as hell. I'm surprised it wasn't better received. It seems to me Billy Corgan doesn't publicize his new stuff very well. The original Pumpkins were masters at that.

comchia

Postby comchia » March 23rd, 2020, 11:38 am

The Smashing Pumpkins were one of the first bands I listened to as a teenager, when I started getting into heavier, more aggressive music. The video for "1979" got me into the band, but "Bury Me" and "Tales of a Scorched Earth" are my favourite tracks from them. I particularly like the Gish album, with all of its high energy and assertiveness. Do you have any of their vinyls?

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » March 24th, 2020, 1:24 pm

Siamese Dream is a phenomenal album for sure.

And if you like Smashing Pumpkins, you should really listen to Hum: https://youtu.be/v6AK6iW4sHE

Retrology

Postby Retrology » March 24th, 2020, 10:14 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:Siamese Dream is a phenomenal album for sure.

And if you like Smashing Pumpkins, you should really listen to Hum: https://youtu.be/v6AK6iW4sHE

I second this. Not only is Siamese Dream a classic, but Hum is also a really underrated band. Isle of the Cheetah off their last LP is one of my favorite opening tracks ever.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » March 28th, 2020, 11:47 am

Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam were my two favorite bands in high school, but Billy has lost me, for a number of reasons:

1). His ego/temperament is exhausting. He comes across as this humorless control freak.
2). His voice became very nasally around 2002.
3). The disrespect he has for his fans, other bands.
4). He says that the Pumpkins aren’t a nostalgia act, but....they kind of are.
5). Apart from some songs on the Kaleidoscope project, and Oceania, his output has been very subpar. It’s like he’s not even trying anymore.
6). He hasn’t evolved as a person, or as an artist.

Say what you will about Pearl Jam, but they still seem to care (their new album is phenomenal), they put on an incredible live show, and 55 year old Eddie is much cooler than 29 year old Eddie. Billy is still as angsty at 53 than he was at 29, and it’s a turn off.

Oh, and the last SP album was complete trash!

Return to “Other Media”