My beloved Nintendo just gave me my first EA experience in gaming...

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul Campbell

My beloved Nintendo just gave me my first EA experience in gaming...

Postby Paul Campbell » March 25th, 2020, 11:11 am

I bought Animal Crossing yesterday after getting my five kids (ages 6 through 14) all worked up about its coming release, telling them how much they were going to enjoy it. Last night, just before bedtime, they all sat with me on the couch and watched me go through all the opening decisions and experiences of the game, mentioning repeatedly how excited they were to try it on their own tomorrow. My last experience with Animal Crossing was on the GameCube, when my wife and I played the game together while she was stuck in bed because of the 5 month-long sickness she experienced with each pregnancy. It was really fun to play the game again, and I loved seeing the excitement on my kids faces (all five are big fans of Stardew Valley) as they thought about playing the game on their own Switch account and making all these decisions for themselves on their own island.

Jump ahead to this morning, as I lay in bed before anyone else is awake. Looking at the news feed on my phone, I see a link to an article from NintendoLife that says furious gamers are "review-bombing" Animal Crossing:New Horizons to show their displeasure". I rolled my eyes at these review-bombers, wondering what all-important, life changing problem these obvious losers, who obviously had too much time on their hands to "review-bomb" a game, could have had with what I found to be a fantastic experience thus far. Well I spoke too soon. It turns out, the opening experience I had with the game last night, IS THE ONLY ONE THAT WILL BE ABLE TO BE HAD ON MY SWITCH THAT IS SHARED BY SEVEN PEOPLE!!! Nintendo decided to limit the game to one island per Switch console! In other words, if any of my kids want to play the game, they either have to play as pawns in my own game who don't get to have any real experiences until I have them as the main character, or they will have to sign in under my name and experience things in the game that I will forever miss unless I play it from the beginning again! This would be like only allowing one Breath of the Wild game per Switch Console!

Some people actually defend Nintendo and say that they are trying to force people to play the game the way it was meant to be played, without cheating or time-traveling. But at the expense of more than one person being able to play the game? Bull. I think this is designed to get people to buy more consoles. That is the only logical explanation. And to me, this is WORSE than the other price gouging instances in games that I have heard of, but not personally experienced. I freaking bought the game. Let me CHOOSE to play the game the way it was meant to be played! They shouldn't be able to FORCE us to play it that way if it means nobody else can truly experience the game!

I am totally blown away by this decision. It makes me so angry, especially to discover this AFTER I already purchased the game, and can no longer "vote with my wallet" on this issue. If only there were some other way I could take a jab at Nintendo's bottom line for this, to force them to listen to my anger! Hmmmm.... MetaCritic is only a click away... do I dare submit to my own hypocrisy?

ActRaiser

Re: My beloved Nintendo just gave me my first EA experience in gaming...

Postby ActRaiser » March 25th, 2020, 11:47 am

Yep, do it. Submit a terrible review. Best case they come out with a patch for it.
Does any of the content get saved to the memory card, ie you could buy X copies of it and share the single Switch or is it really and truly a 1:1 pairing between Switch and game?

(I'm not suggesting it's feasible or makes any sense to buy a game 7 times for each member of your family) That's crazy talk similar to having 7 Switches.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 25th, 2020, 11:58 am

Paul Campbell wrote:Hmmmm.... MetaCritic is only a click away... do I dare submit to my own hypocrisy?

There's nothing hypocritical about leaving a negative review of a game that you have bought and played. That's not review bombing; it's just a review.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 25th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:It turns out, the opening experience I had with the game last night, IS THE ONLY ONE THAT WILL BE ABLE TO BE HAD ON MY SWITCH THAT IS SHARED BY SEVEN PEOPLE!!!

Just buy six more Switches, bro.

What are you? Poor?

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » March 25th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Paul Campbell wrote:Hmmmm.... MetaCritic is only a click away... do I dare submit to my own hypocrisy?

There's nothing hypocritical about leaving a negative review of a game that you have bought and played. That's not review bombing; it's just a review.

I forgot to mention that review bombing is specifically leaving a 0/10, perfectly negative review, in order to ruin the curve...

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » March 25th, 2020, 12:56 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Yep, do it. Submit a terrible review. Best case they come out with a patch for it.
Does any of the content get saved to the memory card, ie you could buy X copies of it and share the single Switch or is it really and truly a 1:1 pairing between Switch and game?

(I'm not suggesting it's feasible or makes any sense to buy a game 7 times for each member of your family) That's crazy talk similar to having 7 Switches.

Not to my understanding. I did ALOT of research this morning and people are saying that with the Gamecube version you had to buy separate mamory cards, but you could still have separate towns. Back then I would understand considering the technology of the time, and wanting to do at least a little to keep things separated. This is just way over the top. I can't believe this "solution" made it all the way to the final release without someone realizing how bad it looks. It's like the game is broken.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 25th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:I forgot to mention that review bombing is specifically leaving a 0/10, perfectly negative review, in order to ruin the curve...

No, it's a coordinated campaign of negative reviews by people who have not necessarily played a game (or seen a movie, etc.) but have some grievance against it. The "bomb" is the sudden impact of this mass of reviews. It has nothing to do with individual reviews, no matter how negative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Review_bomb

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » March 25th, 2020, 4:10 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Paul Campbell wrote:I forgot to mention that review bombing is specifically leaving a 0/10, perfectly negative review, in order to ruin the curve...

No, it's a coordinated campaign of negative reviews by people who have not necessarily played a game (or seen a movie, etc.) but have some grievance against it. The "bomb" is the sudden impact of this mass of reviews. It has nothing to do with individual reviews, no matter how negative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Review_bomb

Well, whatever it is, I was just parroting what I read in the article...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/0 ... w_horizons

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 26th, 2020, 9:33 pm

So let me get this straight. This is not an online/offline issue.

It's just that the game doesn't let multiple people play separately under their own profiles??

noah98

Postby noah98 » March 26th, 2020, 9:47 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So let me get this straight. This is not an online/offline issue.

It's just that the game doesn't let multiple people play separately under their own profiles??

Animal Crossing is my favorite game of all time, and the new one is amazing...for one person in the house if you only own one Switch! My kids are older and both bought their own Nintendo Switch systems. I did have to buy my wife her own system though, so we could both play our own towns in Animal Crossing.

This isn't an online/offline thing. The save file is locked and you can't even back it up or cloud save it. It limits you to one island per system, even with multiple accounts.

The first person who plays the game under their account becomes the primary villager and can advance the story/town progression and experience everything.

Other people can then play under their accounts, but they become secondary, limited residents. This doesn't make any sense. On the Gamecube, you could create other towns with different memory cards. Also, the secondary residents were not restricted if they lived in the same town, even though you could miss something if another player did it (very few interaction were not repeatable).

The new game goes out of its way to make you need more than one system. Maybe the Switch Lite is considered the solution? Very lame though!

The game is fantastic otherwise though...

Return to “Video Games General”