Time for The Critic to do a set of reviews based on post-apocalyptic scenarios...

General and high profile video game topics.
DrLitch

Re: Time for The Critic to do a set of reviews based on post-apocalyptic scenarios...

Postby DrLitch » March 20th, 2020, 8:15 am

Gentlegamer wrote:BioShock, Fallout, Horizon Zero Dawn all fit in this category

Horizon Zero Dawn might be the greatest game ever made, certainly the greatest game in this category. It will soon be coming out on PC as well.

Gentlegamer wrote:https://www.gog.com/game/stalker_call_of_pripyat

Yes and I suggest to members here this place is worth checking out. Some cheap titles and some are classics. For example, if you ever feel the need to revisit the original Rogue Squadron on the N64, the PC version is on this site. You can easily map keyboard inputs to an Xbox controller through software like joy2key. Turok is there as well, Shadowman, Unreal, Doom (the originals) and so on. Then there are classics like Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind and System Shock 2. Baldurs Gate, Spellforce, Torment, Icewind Dale, the list goes on. You do not need a great PC or Laptop either, most of this site's titles will run fine on a PC without a discrete Graphics card, Intel HD graphics or AMD Ryzen Vega 8 or 11 graphics get the job done (actually in Ryzen case, the Vega graphics can run modern games with settings turned down). I got Fallout 3 to run on my 2012 Vaio Laptop on HD 3000 graphics alone. Pulls 30fps. With modern HD 630 graphics common on Intel Chips you can bump that up to 60fps. Just about every PS3/Xbox360 era title can be made playable.

C64_Critic

Re: Time for The Critic to do a set of reviews based on post-apocalyptic scenarios...

Postby C64_Critic » March 24th, 2020, 10:18 pm

I've looked through my inventory of games and decided to take a crack at playing and reviewing Roadwar 2000. This is an SSI title, so I know it'll be a slog to get through, but the overall topic of the game seems spot on; a deadly virus has suddenly attacked various cities in North America and the country as descended into chaos (ok, there's apparently also a nuclear strike that takes place in the middle of the virus crisis - let's hope it doesn't come to that!). You need to build up and lead a gang of road warriors on a mission to locate 8 missing scientists who hold the secret to a cure.

Yeah, this'll be a hoot!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » March 25th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Retro STrife wrote:But for a little hidden gem on PS4, Xbox One, and PC, check out "This War of Mine". It's like The Sims set during a war, where you live day-to-day and try to survive, while working to feed and defend yourself and your family.

For anyone interested, this game is currently on sale on Steam for a mere $5. And, it's the "Final Cut" version of the game. Per the publisher, "... contains all the updates and free expansions released so far and introduces not only a new scenario but also expands all scenarios with the locations known from Stories DLCs - even if you don’t own those."

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 25th, 2020, 5:03 pm

^ For $5, it's a steal - practically an A game. I got bored after 2 or 3 playthroughs, but you'll easily get your money's worth for $5.

I played the PS4 version. They say the PC version is even better, because it's a little nicer to have the keyboard and mouse. (That said, if you only play console games, I did just fine with the PS4 controller.)

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » March 25th, 2020, 10:28 pm

Do we need a virus icon now for such times? I say thst jokingy !

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » March 26th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Just picked up Metro Redux on the Switch for 40 bucks at Walmart.

I like the idea of a roll of toilet paper to signify the genre...

goldenband

Postby goldenband » March 26th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Ozzybear wrote:Do we need a virus icon now for such times? I say thst jokingy !

You joke, but a Mutant Virus review on the NES would be timely! (Or Dr. Mario on the Game Boy.) What better theme for a game right now than destroying viruses?

Tron

Postby Tron » April 8th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Waiting for Fallout 4 to load right now. Too many mods, but I remember this game slowing down years ago even without the mods

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Just wait until tomorrow!

Return to “Video Games General”