Intellivision Amico Info

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
noah98

Re: Intellivision Amico Info

Postby noah98 » March 27th, 2020, 10:12 am

I have an Ouya and even an Nvidia Shield portable. I don't think the Intellivision Amico is anything like the old consolized Android boxes. The Amico games may have simple graphics, but they are not glorified mobile games or ports. These games were built from the ground up for the new system.

I can't wait for this thing to come out. The skiing game looks like so much fun. Modern skiing/snowboarding games have great graphics, but overcomplicated gameplay.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » March 27th, 2020, 12:41 pm

can't wait to see the critics reviews for this system

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » March 27th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Five of the six pack-in games announced. Three that look awesome and two I'm not sure about:

https://youtu.be/Nh6NSLwmamQ

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » March 27th, 2020, 11:18 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Let's see... you play it on the big screen... no touch screen controls... no microtransactions... local multiplayer... physical media.
I fail to the connection between these and mobile games.

The controller is literally a touch screen controller. What are you even talking about?

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I like the concept, and some of the games look really great. On the other hand, I have to agree with Robotrek and say that a lot of the games look like cheap mobile crap. They need to do more for me to be truly invested, because I don't feel like spending $200 dollars to play glorified flash games with a Unity filter.

Also, what will this console bring to the table that the Switch isn't already doing?

Don't get me wrong, the Amico kinda seems cool, but I'm not gonna kneel at its altar just because "old games good, new games bad."

noah98

Postby noah98 » March 28th, 2020, 8:23 am

I understand why people are skeptical. But, a few things to keep in mind. While the controllers do have touchscreens, they also have the physical disc and buttons for controls. Also, when asked what this does compared with a Nintendo Switch, I would say it's not the hardware, it's the software. All of the games are made for, and exclusive to, the Amico. I'm excited about this because I own an Intellivision, and I would love to play sequels/remakes of Intellivison franchises like Night Stalker, Astrosmash, etc.

This is great for Intellivision fans, not because "old games good, new games bad," but because it offers them a chance to play games that they love.

I personally love new games too! Having a blast with Animal Crossing, and still making my way through The Witcher 3 on PC. I've also already preordered Cyberpunk.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 28th, 2020, 11:28 am

For what it is, $149 seems like a more reasonable price point.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » March 28th, 2020, 3:29 pm

i'm personally done with the Playstations & the Xbox's..the only games i ever get these days for those systems are retro compilations or retro remakes and sports games..i try so many demos of popular games and get bored so fast...i played one game last night that was truly awful called Goat Simulator.....anyway when the Amico comes out it's going to my main system and plugged into the other HDMI port of my TV will be one of the those Android boxes so i can play emulators

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » March 29th, 2020, 4:11 am

I will say, there have been some real gems announced so far, like Skiing, Night Stalker, Astrosmash, Ecco, etc. And Earthworm Jim 3 has me super excited. Hopefully some great indie devs can get on board and make some great exclusive indie titles. I do plan on getting one of these after a price drop.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » March 30th, 2020, 2:50 pm

SideSwipers shown today..looks like a fun game to play with your friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 30th, 2020, 5:21 pm

I love the fact that they aren't just settling for nostalgia, but coming up with new and exciting ideas that actually look like they could be old school.

Return to “Modern Gaming”