Vectrex Berzerk Question

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Vectrex Berzerk Question

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 28th, 2020, 5:15 pm

So I've been playing a lot of Vectrex lately and hope to have a lot of fresh new reviews. In addition to brand new reviews I'd like to revisit a few of my oldies like Berzerk for the Vectrex. So on the multicart there are two versions: Berzerk and Berzerk 2.

It turns out the original Berzerk had it share of bugs, including crashing at high levels. Berzerk 2 corrects those, although it's essentially the same game. So how do I review these? Separate reviews or combine them into a single review?

Stalvern

Re: Vectrex Berzerk Question

Postby Stalvern » March 28th, 2020, 6:53 pm

You have several reviews of completely identical old games, usually from the earlier days of the site, like Chuck Norris Superkicks and Kung Fu Superkicks. Just review the first one normally, then mention for the second one that it's basically the same but improved and give it a higher grade.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 29th, 2020, 8:30 am

Yeah the difference is that the fixed Vectrex wasn't a actual release. I don't even think it even has a name. It's Berzerk 2 on the multicart, and I see it called Berzerk Debugged on the internet.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 29th, 2020, 8:33 am

I just realized I did something similar for the Atari 2600 ET fixed version. I guess I'll just go with "Berzerk (Debugged)" and use my "hack" icon.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » March 29th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Apparently the pack-in game for the Vectrex, Mine Storm, also had a bug that required a separate game to be released - Mine Storm 2 - which is simply the first game, but with the level 13 bug fixed (apparently the game will crash if you complete level 13).

Owners of Mine Storm could actually write the company and would receive Mine Storm 2 completely free from them, making Mine Storm 2 a bit of a rare cart these days as most owners didn't know they could write the company to get the free replacement and probably at least as many never made it that far in the game to know about the glitch to begin with.

Ahhhh, that days before internet-enabled patching!!

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » March 29th, 2020, 7:57 pm

Hyperchase would have been an amazing game if the controls weren't so bad..to this day it still looks awesome

Return to “Video Games General”