Doom 64

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
BlasteroidAli

Doom 64

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 2nd, 2020, 10:32 am

I had this back in time when I had a SNES and an N64. It was great on both systems as well as the Jaguar and the PS1 Worst version I played was Doom on the Sega Saturn.

Doom 64 was a completely new version featuring new polygon graphics which were really advanced for the time. The game play is fps with a lot more tricks, traps and keys.

Bethesda announced that the Midway classic was coming to home consoles. It is available now for PS4, Xbox 1 and the Switch. Priced around £/$4.

It is here and I have been playing it for the last week Very good if you like retro. It has a save system which is great as you will be using it a lot. Remember when you died constantly and had to reset the game over and over? This is the game for you. The back up makes levels which were impossible, possible.

I have not played the switch game yet but this is a great game well worth£4

Retro STrife

Re: Doom 64

Postby Retro STrife » April 2nd, 2020, 10:53 am

Yes, the original Doom is available on PS4 right now, on sale for just $3 (usually $5). I just bought it last night and played about 5 levels. It's the same Doom, but it's a great version - looks good, easy to save, easy to play. Certainly the best way I've ever played it. It still holds up pretty well too, which is pretty crazy for such an early FPS. Doom is one of the essential games everyone should play, at least for historical relevance if nothing else, and you can't beat it for $3. I assume the Switch and Xbox versions are the same as the PS4 version.

I've never played Doom 64. For the original, I had it on my PC in the mid 90s and loved it. I've tried some of the console versions, but usually got bored/annoyed and didn't play long. Whether it was the controls or the graphics, each console version always seemed to have some annoyance that made it hard to enjoy after playing the PC version. This PS4 version is the first time I haven't had that problem - it actually plays better than the original PC version. It's been about 25 years since I've played this far into the game.

Return to “Now Playing”