Intellivision Amico Info

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Intellivision Amico Info

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2020, 9:27 am

Yeah even an Nintendo Switch-like SD card slot would have been better.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » April 4th, 2020, 1:36 pm

noah98 wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Physical media that doesn't actually contain the game? You lost me.

I agree, it's really just collectibles with an unlock code. Some of these might be cool to own, but it's not the same as having a cartridge. An optional cartridge slot would have made this perfect though.

that would have been cool but then that would have driven up the price even more

Voor

Postby Voor » April 4th, 2020, 2:09 pm

I think when considering the small file size of these games, digital is the way to go. Unless they essentially just sold multi-game cartridges, like 8 games for $40.

Buying a cart for a 1mb game just seems like a waste of material especially when we’re trying to be nice to the environment. If you like a game enough, then the option to buy collectibles is a cool idea.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2020, 3:41 pm

I prefer the idea of a self-contained system not at the whim of some random server. I don't subscribe to the environmental issue. Landfills aren't overflowing with games - they aren't meant to be disposable.

The online aspect is a bit insidious. First "you only need to download once". Then there's so EULA you have to agree to signing your privacy away. Then you're subjected to intrusive prompts to "update your system" and "update your game". Eventually there will be ads displayed in the games. At some point you've completely lost control of your system.

It's just too easy for console makers to milk the customers like that once they're online.

Actually the small size of the games would be a good argument to put them on physical media, since the media wouldn't cost much and the games should be bulletproof. If you make the games patchable you can pretty much bet half will ship broken/unfinished.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 5th, 2020, 7:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I don't subscribe to the environmental issue. Landfills aren't overflowing with games - they aren't meant to be disposable.

I agree with 90% of your post, and I want physical media as much as you. But this line struck me as purposefully misleading. Landfills are not the environmental issue, and I bet you know that. Most cardboard packaging would be recycled anyway.

With digital media there is no manufacturing, no plastics or chips. And probably more importantly, there is no distribution via trucks, ships or airplanes. There is about 1/100th of the physical supply chain. That's the environmental issue.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Breaker - I didn't mean to be misleading. I just hadn't thought of it that way, but you make a valid point.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » May 2nd, 2020, 2:07 pm

Intellivision Amico preorders now at Gamestop
https://www.gamestop.com/search/?q=amico&lang=default

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » May 3rd, 2020, 5:05 pm

They could always have a deal where folks could recycle old cartridges, the way Coke used to recycle old bottles.

$10 refund if you turn in a cart, then they wipe it & put something else on it.

I'm currently in favor of each cart containing a system-on-a-chip, with the console as a mere interface device for controllers, displays, & the like. I'm sick of obselence; if most of the hardware was on the media itself the system could last nearly forever.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » May 3rd, 2020, 5:53 pm

Did you guys see Tommy's recent livestream with ReviewTechUsa? He was literally telling people NOT to buy his product instead of defending his product. "Don't like the price? Don't buy it! Don't like the media? Don't buy it! Don't want the games? Don't buy it!". That's a very poor strategy.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » May 3rd, 2020, 7:09 pm

Robotrek wrote:Did you guys see Tommy's recent livestream with ReviewTechUsa? He was literally telling people NOT to buy his product instead of defending his product. "Don't like the price? Don't buy it! Don't like the media? Don't buy it! Don't want the games? Don't buy it!". That's a very poor strategy.

Ya I preordered it but may cancel. We shall see.

Return to “Modern Gaming”