Am I the only person that hates rumble??

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Am I the only person that hates rumble??

Postby Voor » April 5th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Have never liked it, just feels obnoxious. Lol. So I always turn it off, but I have a 3rd party switch controller that doesn’t turn off for Mario Deluxe for whatever reason. And it’s a HARD rumble. It’s so annoying!! Makes me want to opt for using a single joycon instead.

How do you feel about rumble?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Am I the only person that hates rumble??

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Yeah I feel like rumble has had its day. I was pretty excited about rumble on the N64 because it was new in the late 90's. The PS1 rumble controllers were even better because they could simulate different effects. Like riding over bumps in Gran Turismo. Over the years I've seen it used in imaginative ways, like a heartbeat when you're in a scary situation (I think that may have been a Resident Evil game).

For this generation I agree the rumble is more of an annoyance. It seems like the controller manufacturers are treating it like an afterthought. The rumble for the Switch Joycons feel (and SOUND) like a circa 1992 pager! What is the point?

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 5th, 2020, 1:50 pm

I've been impressed with the rumble in the Xbox One gamepad's analog triggers. Several racing games like Dirt 4 take full advantage of it to help you get a feel for what your car is doing.

It's well enough done that it feels strange and more difficult to drive when the batteries get low and the system disables rumble to conserve power.

That said, I don't like the noise that they make. I don't remember the motor noise with past generations being so noticeable as it is now.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 6th, 2020, 12:49 am

To be honest, I usually don't even notice rumble anymore. It's like I've been desensitized to it from years of playing. But I do like to keep it on for the slight level of extra immersion it provides. It's like this.. if developers stopped doing it, I probably wouldn't even notice... but then I would be annoyed if I learned of it.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah I feel like rumble has had its day. I was pretty excited about rumble on the N64 because it was new in the late 90's. The PS1 rumble controllers were even better because they could simulate different effects. Like riding over bumps in Gran Turismo.

Yeah, that's a good point- rumble really had it's heyday in the late 90s. It was pretty exciting.. like we were incorporating a third sense into gaming (touch) beyond just sight and sound. Maybe the most famous use of rumble ever came during Metal Gear Solid on PS1, when Psycho Mantis tells you to put your controller on the floor and then makes it spin using his telekinetic powers (i.e., by rumbling one side of the controller). That sounds kinda silly now, but in 1998 it was very cool - the Dual Shock controller was brand new and it immersed you in a way we hadn't seen before.

Not cool, though, were the rumble vests and rumble chairs that they tried to come out with. I never used those, but they looked like overkill and a big waste of money.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 6th, 2020, 12:49 am

And speaking of adding new senses, I remember around the mid-2000s a company was working on a device that incorporated smell into movies and video games. It was profiled in a gaming magazine, talking about how the device could produce hundreds of scents and release them on cue to match the action on screen. As far as I know the device never released and died a silent death, and probably for the best.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 6th, 2020, 4:12 pm

I wonder if there were legal ramifications, like players suffering from allergic reactions or something like that.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » April 6th, 2020, 5:53 pm

A little bit of rumble is OK, but there have definitely been controllers (and games) where it felt like it definitely wasn't good for my hands, and I turned it off ASAP.

Frequent, intense, and recurring vibration will take a toll on anyone's joints, nerves, and muscles -- especially in the context of a repetitive-stress-injury-prone activity like gaming (or operating a jackhammer).

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » April 6th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Came to mention the fantastic use of it in MGS... but I see that is covered. Generally agree with VGCs "It's had its day" comment.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » April 7th, 2020, 6:49 am

When I first got a PS1 having rumble made everything feel so much more immersive. I used to play a lot of racing games and having that kinda feedback was especially useful when you went over the 'rumble strips' on the apex/exit of corners did kinda feel like it improved my driving. Aside from that genre, I don't think it adds to the immersion anymore - games look and sound look so realistic now.

Over the past 10 years I actually barely even notice it's there any more, to the point I've considered turning it off but never did. When the PS Classic came out and they chose to go with the original controllers I thought playing games without rumble would be massively noticeable but it's only recently after a few months of playing it that I realised that I haven't even noticed the lack of it. In a weird way its actually been nice not having it. I really don't miss it.
Last edited by TheEagleXIII on April 7th, 2020, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » April 7th, 2020, 6:52 am

Retro STrife wrote:And speaking of adding new senses, I remember around the mid-2000s a company was working on a device that incorporated smell into movies and video games. It was profiled in a gaming magazine, talking about how the device could produce hundreds of scents and release them on cue to match the action on screen. As far as I know the device never released and died a silent death, and probably for the best.

Yeugh... imagine playing RE or Silent Hill and having to smell the surroundings and monsters. :shock:

Return to “Video Games General”