Playstation Now

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Playstation Now

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 31st, 2020, 11:04 pm

This isn't about a game so much as it is about Playstation's game streaming service, PS Now. I finally decided I had enough money to splurge on the monthly service, at least for a while, and so far I'm not disappointed. It's literally just like Netflix for games. Choose one you want to play, and you can either stream it over the internet or download it directly to your console. I haven't tried streaming a game yet, but downloading them works 100% fine. I've been playing Gravity Rush: Remastered, but there are hundreds of games to choose from, ranging from popular games on the PS2 and 3 (Red Dead Redemption, Dark Cloud 1 and 2, Doom 2016, Grim Fandango HD), to more obscure titles (can't wait to try Strong Bad's Awesome Game For Attractive People). I already put together a huge list of games I want to try just by browsing all their titles.

Bottom line, I'm impressed. Would recommend.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Playstation Now

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 4th, 2020, 12:19 am

Update!
Cancelled the subscription before my free trial could end. Downloading games works fine, but you can only download games specifically for PS4. Other games, like on PS3 and PS2 (which were the ones I was really excited for) have to be streamed, and it turns out that streaming a video game doesn't work nearly as well as streaming a movie. I couldn't go ten minutes without the game slowing to a crawl while, the graphics glitching out to the point that you can't even see, and even getting kicked out of the game because of a bad connection. It's a cool idea, and I think it has potential. They just need to iron out the wrinkles so it actually works before I'd be willing to spend any money on it. For now, just buying the games is the easier and better (if not cheaper) option.

Retro STrife

Re: Playstation Now

Postby Retro STrife » April 6th, 2020, 1:08 am

I have a teenage nephew with Playstation Now and he loves it. He loves having access to so many games, and being able to play whatever he wants. Every time I see him online he's playing something different. I think younger gamers like that are the ideal audience. When I was a teenager, I was lucky if I got 2 or 3 new games per year- so having access to hundreds would be really cool. And it might appeal to parents too- they can pay a monthly fee and not worry about being bugged to buy $60 games.

For adults, I think the main appeal would be if you like to try tons of games, or jump around from game to game. Personally, I like to choose my games selectively and then try to beat them... with that style, Playstation Now doesn't appeal to me, because I wouldn't have time to play many different games anyway. I'd save the money and buy the discs outright.

Return to “Now Playing”