My beloved Nintendo just gave me my first EA experience in gaming...

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser

Re: My beloved Nintendo just gave me my first EA experience in gaming...

Postby ActRaiser » March 27th, 2020, 8:15 am

I would love to see how Steer would spin this.

You have to buy more hardware to experience the game with a second player in the same house. That's insane and asinine on every level.

I loved the past arguments of EA, Xbox, and Sony screwing over their customers but Nintendo really took that and surpassed it to having to buy a whole new $300 system if you wanted to play it on your TV with your kid or wife. And that's for each member of the family.

Stay classy, Nintendo.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » March 27th, 2020, 9:44 am

ActRaiser wrote:I would love to see how Steer would spin this.

First, Steer would bring up a sales chart showing clearly that the Switch is outselling Xbox and PS4 by a billion to one. Then he would...I miss Steer.

I find it hard to believe that Ninny’s angle here would be to sell more consoles, surely there’s a more reasonable explanation. And don’t call me Shirley.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 27th, 2020, 11:24 am

Gleebergloben123 wrote:And don’t call me Shirley.

LOL

Tron

Postby Tron » April 8th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Wow! this is totally unacceptable. Both my daughters have been bugging me to get a switch to play this game. They aren’t good with sharing, but now Nintendo won’t even let them. This is a bogus move that was completely unnecessary. Giving a review of 0 is not unjustified.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 9th, 2020, 9:13 am

Tron wrote:Wow! this is totally unacceptable. Both my daughters have been bugging me to get a switch to play this game. They aren’t good with sharing, but now Nintendo won’t even let them. This is a bogus move that was completely unnecessary. Giving a review of 0 is not unjustified.

I saw a commercial for Animal Crossing a few days after this thread was posted and kept meaning to reply back about it.

At the bottom of the commercial in small print it said multiplayer requires additional hardware and games. I'm not getting the verbiage exactly right but Nintendo knew perfectly well what it was doing. Else, they wouldn't have been able to turn out a commercial so quickly with the disclaimer down below.

The only people that place disclaimers in their commercials these days are folks selling you drugs with terrible side effects and now Nintendo.

Where have you gone Mario? ;)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 9th, 2020, 9:34 am

Can somebody explain to me the thinking behind Nintendo going this route and taking such a PR hit??

Tron

Postby Tron » April 9th, 2020, 10:38 pm

Good point ActRaiser. Thanks for noticing that and sharing it. I wouldn’t have known that as I refuse to watch commercials.Totally pre calculated. No one can argue that Nintendo didn’t know what a shady move this was.

I’m having a hard time understanding this move as well Critic. Nintendo has had pretty good PR these past few years. Why soil it so they can sell a few more Switches. Seems short-sighted and just plain greedy to me. I could see them doing this with the Wii U when they must’ve beeb feeling pretty desperate, but why do this now with the popular Switch. Maybe it’s just following trends to push the envelope with how much they can take away from consumers. Microsoft seems to have bounced back fairly well with their Xbox One launch fiasco. Maybe Nintendo thinks they can get away with it. Maybe Nintendo will launch a patch or DLC later to show that “They’ve listened to their gamers” and to try and play a “good guy” with a simply ignorant mistake on their part. Maybe they’re saving that “play” for later to make the game relevant again once it’s lost some of its thunder.
As bizarre as this sounds I think Nintendo is secretly jealous of how Sony and Microsoft have a more reliant user base on the internet. Although fans applaud Nintendo for not forcing the internet as much as Sony and Microsoft they secretly despise having this “good reputation and trademark”. I’ve seen other companies in the past that did something better or offered something better than their competition just to go and throw it away to be just like them. In the end what separates and made them awesome is gone and they can’t thrive with what their competition was already doing.

SpaceGuitarist

Postby SpaceGuitarist » April 16th, 2020, 3:43 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Can somebody explain to me the thinking behind Nintendo going this route and taking such a PR hit??

Nintendo was very clear when they released the Switch: they wanted it to be a "family system", as in "they wanted each member of the family to buy one". This was first mentioned in a post-Switch-release interview with some Brainzilla from the company, not sure if it was the Japanese president himself or some other dude. This is their plan in action.

I'm actually surprised this was your first 'bad experience' with Nintendo. Nintendo has always vampirized their own fanbase to see how much they can suck out of you before you eventually snap. This is a company who shamelessly pulled the plug on a very unsuccessful console halfaway into its lifespan, then released a new console (sweeping the old one under the rug) and migrated its entire library onto the new one. Many people who bought a WiiU in 2015 (when the good games started to come out) had to buy a Switch in 2017 in order to keep up with their releases. That's two main systems in two years.
Nintendo's answer to every problem has always been "buy more systems".

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 19th, 2020, 11:36 am

SpaceGuitarist wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Can somebody explain to me the thinking behind Nintendo going this route and taking such a PR hit??

Nintendo was very clear when they released the Switch: they wanted it to be a "family system", as in "they wanted each member of the family to buy one". This was first mentioned in a post-Switch-release interview with some Brainzilla from the company, not sure if it was the Japanese president himself or some other dude. This is their plan in action.

I'm actually surprised this was your first 'bad experience' with Nintendo. Nintendo has always vampirized their own fanbase to see how much they can suck out of you before you eventually snap. This is a company who shamelessly pulled the plug on a very unsuccessful console halfaway into its lifespan, then released a new console (sweeping the old one under the rug) and migrated its entire library onto the new one. Many people who bought a WiiU in 2015 (when the good games started to come out) had to buy a Switch in 2017 in order to keep up with their releases. That's two main systems in two years.
Nintendo's answer to every problem has always been "buy more systems".

This is my first experience of this particular nature with Nintendo. What you mentioned is not something that was planned ahead and then executed while they peaked from around a tree, rubbing their hands together and chuckling. I love the Wii U, but I honestly can't fault them for eventually bailing on a system that had proven to be unressurectable and moving all their efforts over to a new, much more successful one. I would have done the same thing. It doesn't seem diabolical to me. I'm sure you can find little things in Nintendo's history that, if you squint, can be perceived as a blatant power grab, but I think the majority of them would be more like this one you just mentioned: Diabolical to a few, but totally reasonable to the rest.

This Animal Crossing thing is unmistakable, and sure enough, it came back to bite me. I'm a busy guy, running my own business, and sometimes my gaming time can be especially sparse. And I had a spell of sparseness IMMEDIATELY after my kids all watched me play the opening few hours of Animal Crossing. I didn't have a chance to dive back into it for weeks, and I eventually caved and let them take the reigns, which they all promptly did, and now are so far ahead of where I was, and have done so many things on their own, that the game is absolutely unrecognizable. I missed the bus, and it ain't coming back.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 19th, 2020, 8:12 pm

I remember the head nintendo guy (can’t remember his name) said years ago that he and each of his family members had a 3DS in their dining room and would link up and play together.

Looking back now, that may have been his vision....

This really is bizarre, I mean, even a lot of the SNES games have you multiple save slots.

Did the game take a hit in the reviews from this issue?

Return to “Video Games General”