Favorite Atari 2600 Console Variant?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Favorite Atari 2600 Console Variant?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2020, 4:13 pm

There were several popular Atari 2600 console variations in the late 70's/early 80's.

The first model is called the heavy sixer, because it weighs a ton and has six switches across the front. This version had the trademark woodgrain facade.

The next model is the standard four-switch woodgrain, which I used to have as a kid.

After that there was a "Darth Vader" model that's black across the front instead of a woodgrain.

Can't forget the Sears model with the silver trim.

And finally the Atari Jr. model which was tiny and sleek.

So, which one do you prefer??

Stalvern

Re: Favorite Atari 2600 Console Variant?

Postby Stalvern » April 8th, 2020, 4:34 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » April 8th, 2020, 7:43 pm

You never forget your first.

There was just something about the sleek black and silver aesthetic that made it look stylishly futuristic, even knowing it was just a patch on the most primitive option available. And the laser thin rainbow was a symbol of the one effect the 2600 could perform better than an NES or a Master System.

It feels like the true home to games like Demon Attack, Atlantis, Midnight Magic, and Centipede.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » April 9th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Gonna have to echo the 'you never forget your first' sentiment. Just remembering the clunk of the switches alone brings back memories. Sadly no longer have it and don't even know what happened to it.

Although that silver/rainbow trim variant admittedly looks awesomely retro in its own special way - the bulky Atari cartridge sticking out is the only thing that ruins the aesthetics for me.

sixam

Postby sixam » April 9th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Don't forget Coleco's Gemini system! Coleco marketed it shortly after they introduced the 2600 expansion module for Colecovision. The main innovation of the Gemini were the controllers. It combined the joystick and paddle into one contrlller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleco_Gemini

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 9th, 2020, 11:13 pm

Good point about the light sixer. It looks very similar to a heavy sixer, and it's more common. A lot of people who think they own a heavy sixer actually own a light sixer. I learned that lesson the hard way when I inadvertently bought a light sixer years ago, thinking I had scored a good deal on the rarer and more expensive heavy sixer. I didn't know how to spot the differences.

(You threw me off for a second with the big pic of the Japanese version (Atari 2800), but then I saw that you linked separately to the light sixer.)

Anyway, if I was picking one favorite to own it would be the heavy sixer. I like all of them, but the heavy sixer is usually the most desirable model from what most collectors have told me, so that breaks the tie in my head. But for playing 2600 games, I actually use the Atari 7800. Why? Partly convenience, so that I can play 2600 and 7800 games with one system hooked up. But largely it's because that's the system I grew up with. My parents had an Atari 7800 when I was a little kid, with a bunch of 2600 games, and I played it for a few years until we got an NES.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 9th, 2020, 11:22 pm

Heavy Sixer:

Light Sixer:

Really hard to tell the difference at first glance. That's what got me, and why I ended up with the light sixer. I also have a 4-switch and Jr., and the Coleco Gemini, but I haven't tried playing with any of those models. Sticking to my trusty 7800. I should ask though.. does anyone know of any drawbacks to the way 2600 games play on a 7800? I had never considered that before.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 10th, 2020, 12:20 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Image

Just noticed the camera flash reflecting "ATARI" onto the cartridge. Pretty good.

djc

Postby djc » April 10th, 2020, 12:52 am

For me it's a tie between the 2600 Jr. and the Sears Telegames II (both pictured in this forum post). I love the compact look and design of the Jr. along with the fact that it is pretty portable and can fit almost anywhere.

For the Telegames II, I like the controllers which were a combination joystick and paddle. While they are shaped like the standard 7800 controllers, they are better molded and more comfortable in hand.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » April 10th, 2020, 10:37 am

Mine is the light sixer as well. That's the one my brother and I had growing up.

I bought one a few years ago to replace my original. I had it cleaned up and modded for rgb. Looks fantastic running through a framemeister!

I then bought 2 new joysticks (with upgraded parts) through best electronics, along with 2 new sets of paddles (again with upgraded parts so they dont break after a few years). Highly recommend!

Now I need to beef up my cart collection!

Return to “Classic Gaming”