All the way through?

General and high profile video game topics.
Retrology

Re: All the way through?

Postby Retrology » March 24th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Attempting to 100% all of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, something I've never done before. I only have two skaters left to accomplish this with: Elizabeth Streamer and Jamie Thomas (the original leap of faith skateboarder!). I love how going 100% with a skateboarder allows you to unlock cheats such as perfect balance so that you'll never fall when grinding on a rail or doing a manual, as well as a cheat that lets you have full stats from the start (making unlocking everything else way easier).

So yeah, technically since I got 100% of the missions completed I beat the game all the way through. I just have to do it for two more skateboarders. It actually doesn't take as long as you'd think, about 45-60 minutes from my experience, but that's because I'm pretty good at the game.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » March 24th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Finished Castlevania: Bloodlines (originally for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive, played here on The Castlevania Anniversary Collection for the PS4) using John Morris (the traditional whip-wielding character). Short, fast, straightforward action game with memorable bosses and setpieces (especially regarding destructible environments). Makes a nice compliment to Super Castlevania IV (a game that I've grown to appreciate more over time). Started a second playthrough with Eric Lecarde (the spear-wielding character) and immediately found the game twice as difficult, so I'm going to have to roll up my sleeves for this one.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » March 25th, 2020, 9:14 pm

Just beat paper Mario colour splash on wii u. Whew, long game! Probably 30 hours or so, which for me took me 4 months or so. Also, had to resort to a guide. Too many times it was unclear what card you need to beat a boss and even more to difficult to backtrack to find that particular card!

Glad I’m done , now playing some nes games (Batman and arkanoid) as a palette cleanser!

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » March 25th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Just finished The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 3 on ps4 , im gonna have to revisit part 2 as I don't remember finishing it. But what a fun series!

nesfan

Postby nesfan » April 5th, 2020, 11:03 am

I just beat Dragon Quest XI on PS4. And made sure to snag the platinum trophy along the way. I did every little thing you can do in this game and spent a lot of time with it. Like 200 hours. And I chose to put in that time because the game was so incredible. The story, characters, and most importantly, gameplay were all on point. I'm not a stickler for graphics but even I had to stop what I was doing every now and then and just soak in the environment around me. The game was just beautiful. Square Enix announced from the beginning that this game would be a return to form for the series and they nailed it! (Almost. Still wish it had random encounters.) They've proven they can still do it with Dragon Quest. Now if they'd just give Final Fantasy the same treatment...

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » April 7th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Since Christmas I've been mostly on a PS1 binge - revisiting old games I never completed or checking out and completing (not 100%) absolute classics I missed out on. So far I've checked off my list:
Final Fantasy VII
Crash Bandicoot 1, 2 & 3
Spyro 1
Syphon Filter 2 & 3
THPS 1 & 2

Syphon Filter 3 is the most recent one I've just completed and it's easily the weakest of the original trilogy.

Despite it's reputation, Final Fantasy VII was actually a pleasant surprise. I've been wanting to give RPGs more of a chance and check out FF7 for ages, just to see how it could possibly ever be considered one of the greatest games of all time - not just on PS1. It's not that I doubted it... I just didn't understand how a game with the gameplay mechanics of the genre could be that good. Totally converted me, and opened up my eyes to some of the merits of RPGs, even if it is the peak of the mountain.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » April 10th, 2020, 3:59 am

Just finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Ps4.
while I didn't care for the setting as much in this game as
I did the others.
It was still great none the less !

nesfan

Postby nesfan » April 12th, 2020, 10:57 pm

I just beat Sonic Mania Plus (Switch) as Sonic. This game was really cool but kind of disappointing in the sense that it could have used more original levels. It had some and they were great but it reused a lot of levels from other Sonic games. It made up for that with some really fun boss fights, though.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 14th, 2020, 12:32 am

TheEagleXIII wrote:Since Christmas I've been mostly on a PS1 binge - revisiting old games I never completed or checking out and completing (not 100%) absolute classics I missed out on. So far I've checked off my list:
Final Fantasy VII
Crash Bandicoot 1, 2 & 3
Spyro 1
Syphon Filter 2 & 3
THPS 1 & 2

Syphon Filter 3 is the most recent one I've just completed and it's easily the weakest of the original trilogy.

Despite it's reputation, Final Fantasy VII was actually a pleasant surprise. I've been wanting to give RPGs more of a chance and check out FF7 for ages, just to see how it could possibly ever be considered one of the greatest games of all time - not just on PS1. It's not that I doubted it... I just didn't understand how a game with the gameplay mechanics of the genre could be that good. Totally converted me, and opened up my eyes to some of the merits of RPGs, even if it is the peak of the mountain.

Nice going Eagle - that list reads like a "Who's Who" of must-play PS1 games. I played each of those series back in the PS1 days. Crash Bandicoot 3 was the first game I owned for my PS1; great game and it remained my favorite in the series even after playing Crash 1 & 2 (I think 2 was the weakest). Never was a big Spyro fan, but still it's a solid platformer. Great memories playing the first Syphon Filter - that was an impressive series when it started out on PS1, but I'd be surprised if a third-person shooter like that still holds up today (how was it?). Played the hell out of the THPS series, loved THPS 1-4 (2 and 3 were my favorites), lots of good times with siblings spent playing those.

And naturally Final Fantasy VII is one of my all time favorites. Like you, I had heard all the statements that it no longer holds up these days. Well, after going about 20 years without playing it, I finally revisited it a year or so ago. And like you, I found that it is still an excellent game. If you ask me the biggest factor in FF7's enduring success - I think it's undoubtedly the characters. The cast of characters (especially Cloud and Aerith) is probably the best of any RPG ever, and arguably the best of any game ever. The characters and story hold up as classics today, even if the gameplay is becoming dated. IMO the lifelong connection that gamers developed with those characters in the '90s is why the FF7 universe still remains popular today, despite being 20 years old and having no real sequels.

Have you played Metal Gear Solid? If you haven't, I highly recommend that for your next PS1 game. I think, viewed objectively, Metal Gear Solid is the best PS1 game. And it still holds up great today. I played it a few years ago, and was shocked it still played so well. As I played it, I kept thinking "Man, this could be released as a new game today and still be considered great." Fun gameplay, great story, and the best cutscenes of its time. Worth playing for sure.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 14th, 2020, 7:19 am

nesfan wrote:I just beat Dragon Quest XI on PS4. And made sure to snag the platinum trophy along the way. I did every little thing you can do in this game and spent a lot of time with it. Like 200 hours. And I chose to put in that time because the game was so incredible. The story, characters, and most importantly, gameplay were all on point. I'm not a stickler for graphics but even I had to stop what I was doing every now and then and just soak in the environment around me. The game was just beautiful. Square Enix announced from the beginning that this game would be a return to form for the series and they nailed it! (Almost. Still wish it had random encounters.) They've proven they can still do it with Dragon Quest. Now if they'd just give Final Fantasy the same treatment...

I played this game and got near the end. However, I ran out of patience. The save points started to get few and far between and the ending battles dragged on forever! It is a good game although I never bothered with the side quests as I thought they were incredibly dull. I put about 50 hours into or so and that was enough for me. Glad you liked it and milked it for all it was worth.

Return to “Video Games General”