Baseball Season?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Baseball Season?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 20th, 2020, 8:59 am

Do you think we'll get a baseball season this year? Frankly I think a half-season doesn't sound half bad. Each game would be more consequential. I think the current baseball season is too long any way.

The only thing I'd be concerned about are the playoff bleeding into football season. Watching baseball in Oct/Nov is like trying to watch hockey in June.

Teddybear

Re: Baseball Season?

Postby Teddybear » April 20th, 2020, 12:01 pm

With the current situation going on, I don't think that any professional sports will be played for the rest of 2020. Believe me......it pains me to even think it.

We can rule out (for now) games being played in home stadiums across the country. If baseball does pursue playing a shortened season strictly in Arizona (on minor league fields) for television purposes, wouldn't it just seem like we're watching a development league? Trying to push half a season under these conditions seems half-hearted and hollow. Unique home stadiums, the fans......this is an integral part of the sport. Without them, I think it would make for uninteresting TV viewing. Did any of you try watching Wrestlemania a few weeks ago? No fans, no dice, no thank you.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 21st, 2020, 10:28 am

I dunno. Yesterday my wife and I were at the park and I was quite entertained by a kid hitting a baseball with his pops. I figured that was about all the baseball I was going to get for a long time. Other than MLB The Show.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 21st, 2020, 2:07 pm

I have always felt that baseball has way too many games. Games with meaning (playoffs, end Of season races, etc) are very exciting. But game #57 in a 162 game season? Pass.

I hope it’s 50-60 games. That would be awesome.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » April 21st, 2020, 2:17 pm

Yeah this really depresses me, especially since this was gonna be the 20th anniversary of Minute Maid Park. :(

bluenote

Postby bluenote » April 21st, 2020, 2:54 pm

Unfortunately, I agree with Teddybear in that I don't think any sports will happen this year. Even if they do start a baseball season in June timeframe, all it will take is 1 single person (either player or team employee) to be confirmed with Corona and they will shut it down.

I'm a big hockey fan and it pains me to say it, but I really don't think any sports is going to happen this year.

Man, how strange is this?

Thanks to the critic for keeping up this great website so we can chat about the Atari 2600, NES and all video games as a nice distraction to what's going on in the world!

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » April 21st, 2020, 3:23 pm

Here in England there's serious talk going on about completing the Premier League season and maybe the lower divisions too in empty stadiums behind closed doors. They did some empty stadium games before the lockdown came into full effect, and in the past at least one team in Italy has had to host a few games in empty stadiums as 'punishment' for their fans singing racist songs. So there is some precedent for empty stadium games.

It doesn't affect me, I'm not a fan anymore, but it's probably not a good idea. Especially as it's fuelled by money and nothing else. All these massive clubs with billionaire owners with millionaire players worrying about the financial impact on their teams rather than looking at the bigger picture. It's things like this that make me truly appreciate the North American franchise and salary cap system.

Formula 1 has also mentioned the possibility about running races with no spectators. I think that might only be if regulations on social distancing are eased though, with a view to reduce a '2nd wave' of the virus rather than simply doing it with empty grandstands 'because they have to.'

This really is unprecedented since sport became professional. I know we lost the entire 2004/05 NHL season, but the players could at least go to the European leagues and still play.

I still can't believe the rise we're seeing in the players participating in eSports. I noticed on F1's YouTube page they're running virtual Grand Prix's each week and raking in close to a million views!? :shock:

I also only learnt today that the new XFL has become a casualty of the coronavirus. After looking more promising than last years AAF and learning all their lessons from the original XFL, it's looking unlikely that the league could even make a comeback in 2021.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 21st, 2020, 9:27 pm

Apparently the simulated NASCAR races are pretty popular.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » April 22nd, 2020, 2:44 pm

Voor wrote:Apparently the simulated NASCAR races are pretty popular.

i'm a gambling addict and i didn't know what i was going to do during the shutdown...so i've been having fun betting ESports of all things and i haven't been doing too bad :lol:

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » June 29th, 2020, 9:13 am

There will be a season starting July 24. 60 games. It was supposed to start earlier, but there were negotiations between the players and owners.

This is interesting. Most fans have talked about seeing a shortened season for a while, now we will see it. If a really good team like the Red Sox or Yankees start out 0-7 or 4-12, things could get interesting. Conversely, a historically bad team can get hot and go on a big winning streak, and in a shortened season, it could be very impactful.

Apparently, there are trying out the rule where extra-inning games start with a runner on second base. https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/202 ... e-discuss/

Return to “Other Media”