Divinity: Original Sin (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Divinity: Original Sin (PS4)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 19th, 2020, 3:28 pm

I was listening to The Adventure Zone the other day, and it got me wanting to play a game of D&D. Problem is, I'm a sad and lonely hermit with nobody to play with. So I decided to do the next best thing and try out Divinity: Original Sin, which is supposedly the closest a video game can get to a real pen and paper RPG. The graphics remind me of Diablo 3, and the combat reminds me a lot of X-Com: Enemy Unknown. I like how you can assign your partner a personality before starting, which lets them make their own decisions--even when those decisions don't mesh with your own. I'm not a fan of the top down view, since it makes it really hard to tell where you're going in new areas, but it's nothing game breaking.

Bottom line: I'm enjoying it so far. It's a really slow experience, and one that most casual gamers won't be into. I'm not entirely sure if I'll even make it to the end of the supposedly 60-hour story. Still, if you're into this kind of thing, I can't think of any reason not to try it out.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Divinity: Original Sin (PS4)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 22nd, 2020, 3:28 pm

Update: not a fan of how the vendors randomize their stock every time you load the game. I ground (grinded?) for about an hour to be able to afford a nice armor set and a couple higher level weapons, then reset when I accidentally made an NPC mad. When I went back to that vendor to buy them again, he had completely different stuff and none of it was as good as what I'd bought from him two minutes ago.

HECK. NOT. HAPPY.

Stalvern

Re: Divinity: Original Sin (PS4)

Postby Stalvern » April 22nd, 2020, 6:06 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I was listening to The Adventure Zone the other day, and it got me wanting to play a game of D&D. Problem is, I'm a sad and lonely hermit with nobody to play with.

There's a site called Roll20 that lets people easily run tabletop games online. I'm on a Discord server that frequently has D&D sessions through it. I wouldn't expect anybody here to host, but it shouldn't be difficult to find people elsewhere who do.

Return to “Now Playing”