Stone Temple Pilots

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Stone Temple Pilots

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 11th, 2020, 9:47 am

Any STP fans out there? I recently picked up the "Thank You" greatest hits collection, and while I already had most of the music, it came with a DVD with all the videos and a ton of concert footage. Fun to watch. Scott Weiland was very dynamic on stage, and I appreciate how he sang the songs correctly (I get annoyed when singers improvise).

I haven't heard any of the stuff with the new singer(s). Any good?

BanjoPickles

Re: Stone Temple Pilots

Postby BanjoPickles » May 12th, 2020, 12:02 am

Surprisingly, their new stuff is really solid, especially their new album which is more acoustic based. The guy who ended up replacing Scott (and, if you want to get technical, Chester) does an awesome job filling those shoes.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » May 13th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Definitely one of of my favorite rock bands of the 90s. There was a certain level of charisma and coolness with STP's music in the Weiland days that really hooked me. Badass riffs and vocals certainly help the cause.

The first two albums have stuck with me for a while with plenty of catchy hooks and riffs. The third one less so, though Trippin On A Hole In A Paper Heart is one of my favorites from them.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 13th, 2020, 7:39 pm

My favorite song is Superman Silvergun from Purple. Speaking of which, I just saw this:

https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Super-Del ... 525&sr=8-1

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » May 13th, 2020, 8:16 pm

I like Pearl Jam and a lot of the grunge era bands however, STP was my favorite by far. I loved just about everything they did. My favorite song is probably Plush or just about anything off of "Core". I enjoyed most of their first 3 albums but thought they started slipping with "four" and then kind of lost track of them. Their last album with Scott, which was self titled I really enjoyed. If you want to check out a good song with the new singer, I would recommend "Meadow". Unfortunately, I never got to see them live but I wish I had. Funny thing is, I am a huge music fan but hardly ever grab anything off the shelf from that era. I guess I don't think it has really held up too well for me or maybe it is all a bit depressing. I usually find myself reaching back to music from the 70's and 80's and some current bands I am into.

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 14th, 2020, 8:29 am

BanjoPickles wrote:Surprisingly, their new stuff is really solid, especially their new album which is more acoustic based. The guy who ended up replacing Scott (and, if you want to get technical, Chester) does an awesome job filling those shoes.

Wow, the new singer is a huge upgrade over Chester. I never got into the post Scott stuff, but now I may need to check out the new stuff.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » May 14th, 2020, 10:42 am

I love STP, definitely my favorite band from the "grunge" era, even though I wouldn't exactly call STP grunge. On a good day, Weiland was one of the absolute best frontmen out there, and was a unique singer in general. All their albums were unique in their own ways, with the Deleo brothers creating some super cool riffs. Tiny Music and Number 4 are probably my favorite albums of theirs, but all their albums are great (I even have a weird soft spot for their self titled album from 2010 that nobody else seems to like).

As for the new singer, the man has a great voice and sounds uncannily like Weiland. But honestly, his song writing leaves something to be desired for me. The Deleo brothers provide some great riffs as usual, but overall it doesn't have the same spark that the band had with Weiland. I weirdly enjoy the stuff with Chester Bennington. He brought his own flair to the band that somehow worked.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 19th, 2020, 7:58 am

So if you have purple you have the hidden track. A Dean Martin tribute and truly awful.

So the story goes they are doing the gigs for the Purple album. They get to Glasgow Barrow lands. Scott and co come on. Sing the first song in Dean Martin style, Just imagine it, Sex type thing as sung by Dean Martin. Scary. the audience put up with one track due to the novelty value. So then they sing three more songs in the same format. The audience have had enough and the beer tumblers start flying. 4 songs and out. They could survive the rain of beer tumblers being thrown on stage.

So not all of their gigs have been good.

I love them. Have up to 4. My fave track is Sour Girl.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » May 19th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Critic, I went back and listened to Silvergun Superman since that's your favorite STP song and DAMN THAT GUITAR WORK KICKS ASS

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Amen brother! He makes that guitar GROWL!

Return to “Other Media”