Making the site easier to read?

General and high profile video game topics.
TheEagleXIII

Re: Making the site easier to read?

Postby TheEagleXIII » May 19th, 2020, 7:11 am

I've also just noticed that the green line spacing don't match up with the text on the mobile site. They're off by a few pixels, but the position is different for every line.

So the first line is a pixel or two below where it is on the desktop site, the 2nd line is striking through the top of the text, the 3rd through the middle, the next strikes through the bottom, and so on.

I'm on Safari on latest iPhone OS if that helps.

charlie

Postby charlie » May 19th, 2020, 9:40 am

Hi Critic,

I have the exact same problem as you reading the site sometimes, my eyes lose what line I am on. It's nothing major, I love reading all the reviews, but I find myself highlighting lines as I go sometimes to keep my place.

One thought, the black behind the text looks like it could be 'none more black', it's a bit shiny even. If you used something like html #303030, it comes across with less sheen, and could make text easier to read. Maybe that messes up your borders and such, but it's a thought...

Jeremy

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2020, 11:16 am

Thanks for the feedback all. The line/gradient experiment is over, for now. I removed them. As Eagle suggested, the font size/line spacing was probably enough of an improvement (although I still need to apply them to the special pages). We'll see how it goes. If anybody has any more ideas or feedback don't hesitate.

As for breaking up the 2000's pull down, I do plan to do that. Not sure when.

As for the readership question, my google analytics have always shown that there's a low return rate for the site. Maybe people don't like the content, or maybe they find it hard to read. But that's one reason I suspect there was a readability issue.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 19th, 2020, 1:28 pm

charlie wrote:One thought, the black behind the text looks like it could be 'none more black',

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2020, 1:57 pm

I just watched Spinal Tap a few nights ago. My DVD/Blu Ray collection has been getting quite the workout!

LuckyMan

Postby LuckyMan » May 19th, 2020, 3:37 pm

And there was much rejoicing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmPhaG1ud38

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 19th, 2020, 4:41 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for the feedback all. The line/gradient experiment is over, for now. I removed them. As Eagle suggested, the font size/line spacing was probably enough of an improvement (although I still need to apply them to the special pages). We'll see how it goes. If anybody has any more ideas or feedback don't hesitate.

As for breaking up the 2000's pull down, I do plan to do that. Not sure when.

As for the readership question, my google analytics have always shown that there's a low return rate for the site. Maybe people don't like the content, or maybe they find it hard to read. But that's one reason I suspect there was a readability issue.

~I like the new font size and spacing. A nice upgrade. I agree with everyone else that the other experiments made the text look more distracting.

~I've been against paragraphs in the past, but it's a fair compromise for some of the longer reviews if it helps people. Just don't feel pressured to shorten your reviews -- they are already much shorter than most reviews and I think the length is generally spot-on to convey everything essential about the game.

~Personally, I think you could wait until the next console generation to separate the 2000's pull down. As it stands, the 2000's tab is still shorter than the 90s tab, and about the same as the 80s. The 2010's tab is going to be very small once you break it up. Plus, we're only just getting to the point where early 2000s systems are clearly retro.

~I'm very surprised to hear about the low page views. Retro gaming is a decently popular hobby so it surprises me if this site isn't more well known. I have searched for years around the web for games reviews, and feel pretty confident in saying that the amount of systems your site covers along with all the reviews per system is unmatched anywhere else on the web. I'm sure that some retro gamers just use it as a resource; i.e., popping on the site a few times a year when they get a new system or they're browsing through a game store. But I wonder if word just hasn't gotten around enough, and that's why there isn't a more dedicated readership.

tREVdesigns

Postby tREVdesigns » May 20th, 2020, 12:00 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:The text size should NOT change size when you press Read More. If anybody is having this issue they should let me know what browser they are using so I can try to fix this!

I can confirm it’s only on my iPad where the text size changes by clicking the Read More.

tREVdesigns

Postby tREVdesigns » May 20th, 2020, 12:09 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:So the text-size-changing bug is limited to the seasonal themed pages and doesn't happen on the main review pages?
If so, that will help me narrow it down.

PS: Are you using a mobile device? I have a feeling you're seeing the normal web site on your phone. The site should automatically detect and send you to the mobile site.

For me it happens on the main reviews on the iPad. Can confirm it’s pulling up the normal website as my iPhone has the mobile edition logo while the iPad doesn’t. I found the mobile version link in the sidebar, doesn’t happen anymore. Case closed.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 20th, 2020, 9:07 am

tREV - thanks for verifying this, but I'd still like to fix it. The site is supposed to redirect to the mobile site for small devices, but I think the ipad falls into a hazy area.

Return to “Video Games General”