Anyone receiving the TurboGrafx-16 Mini next week?

General and high profile video game topics.
DrLitch

Anyone receiving the TurboGrafx-16 Mini next week?

Postby DrLitch » May 23rd, 2020, 10:15 am

Got an email from Amazon. I am pleasantly surprised that this one has shipped.

This TurboGrafx-16 Mini is one of those where "batteries are not included" and you have to order your own AC Adapter for it.

My issue: The console is going to arrive on Tuesday. The AC Adapter - expected ship date in July. WTF. Have you guys figured out a workaround to power this on? Can you use perhaps the AC Adapter that came with the mini SNES?

snakeboy

Re: Anyone receiving the TurboGrafx-16 Mini next week?

Postby snakeboy » May 23rd, 2020, 10:32 am

Does the TG mini come with a usb cable? If it does, I would imagine you could plug that into any common cell phone charger power adapter and that would work.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » May 23rd, 2020, 2:50 pm

Both my PlayStation Classic and Mega Drive Mini came with USB cables but no wall-plug/ac adapter. I've been using one of those flat-style iPhone USB charger plugs for both and it works fine - any that come standard with a phone seem to work.

So long as you have one laying around somewhere and the TurboGrafx mini comes with a USB cable you should be ok.

Not sure if it's the same elsewhere, but here the SNES Mini doesn't plug into the wall - it gets its power directly from the TV's USB slot.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 23rd, 2020, 6:30 pm

How can “they” sell a console with no way to turn it on?

It’s like buying a car only to have to come back with a gas container to put gas in it.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 23rd, 2020, 6:46 pm

Depends on the price and the reviews. I'm interested, but I hear there are a lot of Japanese only games on there, many of which are RPGs/Adventure games that require you to read them, so that might detour me from getting it.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 23rd, 2020, 6:51 pm

I have one coming as well. I pre-ordered it at some point in 2019, was all ready for the March release, but then it saw got delayed "indefinitely" by the virus. I figured it would be fall or later, and then was pretty surprised when they popped back up a couple weeks ago and had them ready to release.

I was torn on whether to buy one. It's a good deal at $100, considering that Turbografx games are so expensive, but I didn't want to experience the PS1 Classic situation - i.e., people buying it for $100 and seeing it drop to $30 in a few months. Then again, I didn't want it to sell out either, since it's only available on Amazon. I think the more likely scenario is that it drops in price a little bit, but I decided I'd take my chances with buying one early.

snakeboy wrote:Does the TG mini come with a usb cable? If it does, I would imagine you could plug that into any common cell phone charger power adapter and that would work.

^ this is my understanding. Most of these newer mini systems cut a little cost by not including the adapter, because you can use any common USB adapter (the ones used for phones and tablets). Most people have some around the house, or you can buy one cheap with Amazon, Walmart, CVS, etc.

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 23rd, 2020, 7:10 pm

I got mine yesterday and it comes with a usb cable. You can use just about any usb charger you have laying around. It's one of the nicest mini consoles. I went with the Turbografx-16 model since I already own an original Coregrafx.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 23rd, 2020, 7:41 pm

Mine arrived a few hours ago. I'm looking forward to the kiddo's bedtime so I can check it out tonight. I have the SNES and NES classic hooked up so I'll probably unplug one and swap this directly in.

This should be fun!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 23rd, 2020, 11:46 pm

Yeah, you can use any standard USB adapter. I unplugged the NES Classic and swapped it with the Turbo Mini without issue. I also ordered the 8Bitdo TG16 2.4G Wireless Gamepad to avoid dealing with cords.

It's freaking awesome. It's probably been a decade since I've played Lords of Thunder. That game alone is worth the price of the console.

I've put about 2 hours or so into it tonight, bouncing around between various games. Frankly, it's pretty cool. If you ever wanted to see what the fuss was about with the PC Engine or Turbo this is a great opportunity to check out a lot of great games for not a lot of money, comparably speaking.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 24th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I feel confident now I will have no trouble playing the TG16. I am really looking forward to it. The TG16 was not a console I owned growing up (I recollect seeing them in toy and electronic stores when I was very young but all us kids back then were Genesis/Snes).

Return to “Video Games General”