NFL Football games are still going to suck

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
noah98

NFL Football games are still going to suck

Postby noah98 » May 28th, 2020, 6:14 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ea-nfl-ext ... 56332.html

EA won the exclusive rights to simulation style NFL games until at least 2025. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed a Madden game! Oh well, back to Tecmo Super Bowl...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: NFL Football games are still going to suck

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 28th, 2020, 6:44 pm

The nightmare continues for sports fans...

In any other industry this would be considered collusion/antitrust and be against the law.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » May 28th, 2020, 7:56 pm

i've always hated Madden games...i still enjoy NFL 2K5 on the XBOX

jon

Postby jon » May 28th, 2020, 10:08 pm

Madden has been terrible since those early Genesis games. EA took over the computer sports game market in 1997-1998. Literally overnight, Triple Play was the only baseball game available, and Madden the only football game. The Front Page Football Pro series was really interesting and I always wanted to see if they would make a game for consoles. Well that wasn't to happen. Of course the last edition, the '98 version, was unbelievable. Then NFL 2k5 is unbelievable and it's over. It's kind of funny to me because in the late 80's early 90's EA seemed like this cool company.

bigfriendly

Postby bigfriendly » May 29th, 2020, 12:08 pm

My friends and I had such a blast playing the first few Madden games on the Sega Genesis back in the early 90's. It's been at least a decade since I even played a Madden football game on any console. I know it upsets a lot of sports gamers that EA has the whole NFL along with the player's association all to themselves. I still honestly believe that if another company puts together a football game that looks good, plays good, and is simply good fun that even without all of the official bells and whistles they could hurt EA enough to make them take notice and work harder on Madden.

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 29th, 2020, 1:22 pm

The sad thing is, EA has no incentive to make Madden a better game. They can keep polishing the same turd, year after year, and people will still buy it because they love football.

And don't get me started on no college football game to fall back on!

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 29th, 2020, 1:31 pm

https://www.maxfootballgame.com/

I wonder if the 2020 version of this will be any good? I saw mixed reviews of it. It's cool they made physical copies. Gotta make your own teams though!

jon

Postby jon » June 1st, 2020, 8:06 pm

Not that anyone thinks outside the box these days, to make a game it must have 50,000 people working on it with huge “production values” or a team of 2 working on a modest NES looking game that really pushes small sprites to the limit. But someone could release a football game without real players. College Hoops 2k8 has every year loyal fans make the real world players for every team. If someone made a football game with fake players, I wonder if they would be allowed to have fans make the actual real life players. I think EA would probably not even allow that to happen.
I don’t even know if EA would allow a non licensed realistic football game. And 1 more thing. Why does an arcade football game have to have real players? I loved Arch Rivals (Tyrone was my favorite player), Baseball Stars Professional and Baseball Stars 2, and Super Baseball 2020 and Street Hoop. None of those games have real players. In fact the fake players give games personality. And it would barely cost anything to make one of these games for the PS4, Xbox One and Switch.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » June 2nd, 2020, 12:09 pm

jon wrote:Not that anyone thinks outside the box these days, to make a game it must have 50,000 people working on it with huge “production values” or a team of 2 working on a modest NES looking game that really pushes small sprites to the limit. But someone could release a football game without real players. College Hoops 2k8 has every year loyal fans make the real world players for every team. If someone made a football game with fake players, I wonder if they would be allowed to have fans make the actual real life players. I think EA would probably not even allow that to happen.
I don’t even know if EA would allow a non licensed realistic football game. And 1 more thing. Why does an arcade football game have to have real players? I loved Arch Rivals (Tyrone was my favorite player), Baseball Stars Professional and Baseball Stars 2, and Super Baseball 2020 and Street Hoop. None of those games have real players. In fact the fake players give games personality. And it would barely cost anything to make one of these games for the PS4, Xbox One and Switch.

Brother! I use Tyrone as well!

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » June 2nd, 2020, 1:09 pm

jon wrote:Not that anyone thinks outside the box these days, to make a game it must have 50,000 people working on it with huge “production values” or a team of 2 working on a modest NES looking game that really pushes small sprites to the limit. But someone could release a football game without real players. College Hoops 2k8 has every year loyal fans make the real world players for every team. If someone made a football game with fake players, I wonder if they would be allowed to have fans make the actual real life players. I think EA would probably not even allow that to happen.

there was a game i loved on the Amiga called Omni Sports Basketball and it had all fake players but they played on your team every year and even lost some skills as they aged and to this day i STILL remember my favorite players from that team even tho they were fake.....still love ya Mancini! lol

Return to “Modern Gaming”