Anyone receiving the TurboGrafx-16 Mini next week?

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser

Re: Anyone receiving the TurboGrafx-16 Mini next week?

Postby ActRaiser » May 24th, 2020, 10:39 pm

DrLitch wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I feel confident now I will have no trouble playing the TG16. I am really looking forward to it. The TG16 was not a console I owned growing up (I recollect seeing them in toy and electronic stores when I was very young but all us kids back then were Genesis/Snes).

Yeah, same here. I remember reading about them and seeing them in the Sears catalog next to the Genesis but that was about as far as I got to see them when I was a kid. Years later I purchased a Duo-R but haven't pulled it out in a long time. This is far easier than messing around with that. It's still too early for me to say if this is better than the SNES classic but it's certainly tied it in my book at least.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 26th, 2020, 8:34 pm

My daughter and I have gotten so much mileage out of last year’s Sega Mini, so I’m all about this, especially once I found out that M2 was behind it.

My only complaint is the tease that is Snatcher. I’m sure that Konami understands how many people would love to be able to play the game without forking over $300 for a decent copy, so it seems cruel that they would include the game without bothering with a translation (I understand why they didn’t, but still). Honestly, I’m tempted to play the game, using a YouTube video of the Sega CD port as an unofficial translator. Ha!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 26th, 2020, 11:06 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:My daughter and I have gotten so much mileage out of last year’s Sega Mini, so I’m all about this, especially once I found out that M2 was behind it.

My only complaint is the tease that is Snatcher. I’m sure that Konami understands how many people would love to be able to play the game without forking over $300 for a decent copy, so it seems cruel that they would include the game without bothering with a translation (I understand why they didn’t, but still). Honestly, I’m tempted to play the game, using a YouTube video of the Sega CD port as an unofficial translator. Ha!

That's awesome!

I can still remember a screenshot from EGM from back in the day of a guy with his decapitated head in his lap. I couldn't believe graphics that good were possible!

(shows how much I knew at the time it was just a still picture). My hunch is there will be a vibrant hacking community for this little guy and you'll be able to patch it with an English ROM (hopefully), if not run the Sega CD version of it?

I played around with it a bit tonight checking out some of the Japanese games. It's quite the riot to listen and watch some scenes in Japanese before the shooting action kicks in. I've been impressed with it so far. The only major downer is you'll want to order an extra controller if more than one is playing or you want to skip the wires entirely.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 27th, 2020, 11:18 am

ActRaiser wrote:
BanjoPickles wrote:My daughter and I have gotten so much mileage out of last year’s Sega Mini, so I’m all about this, especially once I found out that M2 was behind it.

That's awesome!

I can still remember a screenshot from EGM from back in the day of a guy with his decapitated head in his lap. I couldn't believe graphics that good were possible!

(shows how much I knew at the time it was just a still picture). My hunch is there will be a vibrant hacking community for this little guy and you'll be able to patch it with an English ROM (hopefully), if not run the Sega CD version of it?

I played around with it a bit tonight checking out some of the Japanese games. It's quite the riot to listen and watch some scenes in Japanese before the shooting action kicks in. I've been impressed with it so far. The only major downer is you'll want to order an extra controller if more than one is playing or you want to skip the wires entirely.

What’s funny was my daughter’s reaction, which closely mirrored the average kid’s lack of enthusiasm for the system:

Me: “guess what, baby? I’m getting us another mini console! The Turbografx-16 Mini!”

Ava: does it have Sonic?

Me: no, but it does have—

A: does it have Mario?

Me: no.

A: Eh.

I’m excited because I’ve only played a few of the games, such as Rondo of Blood, Bonk, and Bomberman. I’m excited to finally delve into the library!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 27th, 2020, 4:31 pm

I received the TG-16 mini yesterday and I followed the advise given to power on. Thank you.

and

my oh my, is this possibly the best mini console yet? I played this from 730pm nonstop to around 230am. A plethora of great titles (hopefully a hack comes out so I can add more classics) I am simply shocked this system never competed well with the Genesis or SNES. The graphics, at least to my eye, look about even to the Genesis and SNES. Not so much parallax scrolling but the graphics are bright and vibrant. The sound quality is excellent as well. The gaming library is obviously not as deep as the SNES/Genesis but there are plenty of B and A grade titles here. Should have sold well in the early 90's but did not.

Anyway, Thanks for the tips. Hope you all are enjoying yours.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 28th, 2020, 8:22 am

I spent two hours last night playing Neutopia. The main complaints for Neutopia from reading past reviews was that the password feature was a pain. With instant saves and reloads that complaint goes away. If you enjoy adventure games in the vein or style of the Legend of Zelda, you'll find a lot to love.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 29th, 2020, 10:51 am

I've been bouncing around through the games the past week. Definitely a great mini system, and great to play some games that I haven't been willing to spend the $$ on in the past. Case in point -- Military Madness has been a really nice surprise. It is a great game, like an early version of Advance Wars. I've played it more than any game on the mini so far.

Chew Man Fu was unexpected fun too when I played a few rounds of it. Neutopia is another I might like to try at some point, but I haven't gotten there yet. For the RPG fans, Ys Books I & II is a legendary game and well worth trying- it was really groundbreaking in its day. The game's cinematics (animated cutscenes, soundtrack, and voice acting) were like nothing else coming out in 1990, thanks to being on a CD.

If I had any complaints, I'd like to see a bit more of the action games, like Bloody Wolf or Legendary Axe. But overall, the game selection is very good, everything plays well, and it's nice having those save states.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 29th, 2020, 11:22 am

Retro STrife wrote:If I had any complaints, I'd like to see a bit more of the action games, like Bloody Wolf or Legendary Axe. But overall, the game selection is very good, everything plays well, and it's nice having those save states.

Yeah, I was curious why Legendary Axe didn't make it either. Supposedly, the rights for it are in some sort of limbo, unknown state. Whoever owned it beforehand (Victor Interactive Software) went out of business and it doesn't look like there was a clear line of ownership for licensing purposes.

However, in my 5 minutes of sluething I would guess the actual property rights owner is Marvelous. There were about 5 or 6 different company acquisitions and name changes to end up here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvelous_(company)

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » May 30th, 2020, 3:48 pm

I received mine in the mail a few days ago, very happy with it. I never played these games before and overall the system is pretty cool. I am really enjoying Military Madness and Neutopia. Need to dive into some more of the games when I have time. Definitely worth the $99 thus far.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 30th, 2020, 4:25 pm

I received mine this morning and, after spending a couple of hours with it, here are my impressions so far:

-Moto Rotor (F): this game is a piece of crap. I don’t get it.

Blazing Lasers (A): Insanely fun shmup!

Lords of Thunder (A-): deeper than most shmups I’ve played. Killer soundtrack! Really difficult.

Chew-Man-Fu (B+): really fun puzzle game where you have to roll colored balls towards their matching tiles, while also using them as weapons, before the time runs out.

Parasol Stars (C-): the graphics are clean, and colorful, but the game itself is basically nothing more than Bubble Bobble with parasols in place of bubbles. I have a confession: I have never liked the BB series. At all.

Rondo of Blood (A): What can I say about this game that hasn’t been said a million times already? In my opinion, it is a step down from Super Castlevania IV, but it was still an incredible title.

Victory Run (D): this game kind of sucks. I felt like it was too slow.

I still have a lot of games to work through, but I really do wonder why Street Fighter II Championship wasn’t included, especially seeing as how both the SNES and Genesis Classics had it. Also, as much as I do love shmups, and I recognize that the TG16 specializes in them, I almost feel like this mini console has too many of them. Then again, it has games that were sorely lacking from the other two: Bomberman, New Adventure Island, Cadash.

So far, my early impressions would rate it at an A-.

Return to “Video Games General”