Ray Harryhausen fans?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Ray Harryhausen fans?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 9th, 2020, 2:23 pm

I've been digging pretty deep into my DVD collection lately (go figure) and lately I've been watching the films of Ray Harryhausen. He's the guy who mastered the technique of claymation to bring monsters to life in films from the 1950s thru the 1970s. The creatures in these movies are far more scary and interesting that the CGI crap we're used to seeing in modern films. Also, these films were highly influential.

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) - Ray created an amazing cyclops for this one. But what really struck me was how much Star Wars ripped off this film! Not just the storyline but some lines of dialog as well.

Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - he brought the 100 foot colossus to life, and animated seven skeletons at once.

Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973) - the Kali statue reminded me a LOT of the one featured in Tomb Raider movie.

Still have to watch Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, as well as the original Clash of the Titans. I've seen them but it's been a long while.

Anybody else enjoy movies like these?

LuckyMan

Re: Ray Harryhausen fans?

Postby LuckyMan » June 9th, 2020, 3:13 pm

I love all of these films, especially Clash of the Titans with Medusa and the Kraken! Harryhausen really brought these stop-motion characters to life!

scotland

Postby scotland » June 9th, 2020, 6:12 pm

This is actually our second Harryhausen thread. We have one from 2017.

Love the imagination and craftsmanship. The massive gaps in his filmography can attest to the amount of work it takes. Unfortunately, either CGI decapitated stop motion or he never had an apprentice to pick up his skills.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 9th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Big fan of Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans - I saw the latter when I was about 7 or 8 because it got replayed endlessly on TV around that time and the Medusa and scorpions were legitimately terrifying to me. The only other films with his work that I've seen all the way through are Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers so I need to check out the Sinbad films.

I love the way that Army of Darkness paid tribute to Harryhausen's work on JatA - I'm also convinced that the final multi-headed form of Henrietta from Evil Dead 2 is a more subtle nod to the hydra from the same film.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 9th, 2020, 7:55 pm

I loved the work of Ray Harryhausen when I was younger, the Medusa scared me in Clash of the Titans. And don't forget 7th voyage of Sinbad had a skeleton in it too! I liked the Hydra from Jason and the Argonauts (which by the way is one of the favorite movies of Daniel Radcliffe - that's right the boy wizard). But my all-time favorite of his creations is the Kali statue with the movement of her six arms. That's no easy feat, and it looks more convincing than what we have today. And who could forget having Tom Baker (Doctor Who number 4) as the diabolical sorcerer, played with delicious menace?

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 9th, 2020, 10:26 pm

All the mentioned films with Jason or Sinbad were shown at my middle school auditorium for our assembly breaks. Loved that stuff. Have not seen any of those films since the 80s. I wonder if they are streamable.

My favorite Harryhausen flick is 1 million BC which I own on DVD.

Tron

Postby Tron » June 10th, 2020, 1:29 am

Totally agree that CGI sucks and claymation rules. I love all those movies so so much. My favorite was the Cyclops. I loved how he looked like such a monster and humanoid at the same time. For all of you that have girlfriends that don’t appreciate action flicks compromise and let her watch some of the California Raisins too.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 10th, 2020, 5:38 am

Watched Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger last night and I have to say it's not Ray's best work. The Minotaur looks badass but he dies by a freak accident before the end of the film. Lame. And the saber-tooth tiger at the end was so cuddly looking, I felt like I was watching Santa Claus is coming to town.

Of course, I originally saw it on TV, so maybe that's why I find it hard to take seriously. Looks like a made-for-TV film. Ray himself admitted the film was rushed.

The story is crap and Sinbad seems more like a supporting actor. Looking on the bright side, it does have Jane Seymour.

Apparently this came out the same summer as Star Wars. In that light, it's kind of embarrassing.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » June 10th, 2020, 6:14 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Dragon in 7th voyage, that thing was cool, not to mention you simultaneously feel sorry for it for the cruel treatment it went through with the diabolical sorcerer. You even cheer for it as it fights the cyclops.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » June 10th, 2020, 7:48 am

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Mysterious Island (1961). My all-time favorite Ray Harryhausen film.

Return to “Other Media”