Modded Genesis Mini

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ActRaiser

Re: Modded Genesis Mini

Postby ActRaiser » June 11th, 2020, 9:02 am

newmodelarmy wrote:Probably a stupid question but is it illegal to purchase a modded Genesis Mini?

It's not a stupid question at all.

Nah, there's nothing illegal about purchasing a modded console.

The hacked aspect of it is akin to beefing up your engine in your car. You'll void the warranty but that's to be expected.

The grey area or not so grey area are the ROMs. If you don't "own" the game then you don't have the right to place the ROM on the console. However, if you own the game then there is zero problem of placing the ROM onto your recently modded console. You used to be able to make backup copies of your floppy games due to the media being pretty fragile. All of that was considered kosher way back when. The same principle still applies.

One way to get around the legality of a modder sending you a console with all the games pre-installed is to tell you to delete the ones you don't already own. He's just saving you time on uploading the ones you do have.

After typing that up I did a quick search and found this article. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2009/08/modder-arrest-a-reminder-that-most-console-hacks-are-illegal/ It's interesting...apparently selling a modded console for profit is not kosher. But that's on the person selling, not buying aspect of it. And I guess I was wrong about the hacking aspect as well. Good times.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 11th, 2020, 9:54 am

That article was also 10 years old. I don't think ebay or amazon even permitted selling modded systems at the time. They've definitely become more lenient over the years. Not sure if that's a reflection of what's legal or just what they can get away with.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 11th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Good catch on the article being so old. eBay certainly doesn't seem to care, that's for sure.

strat

Postby strat » June 11th, 2020, 4:08 pm

The charges against him were dropped. Modding consoles is still a crime under the DMCA but apparently you have to do it with intent?
https://www.wired.com/2010/12/crippen-dismissed/

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » June 11th, 2020, 6:25 pm

I’m frustrated because I really want to mod my Sega mini, but I can’t find any tutorials for Mac owners, and I am so awful with tech stuff that I need the step-by-step. I was going to do the same thing with the Genesis Mini that I did with the NES/SNES, which involved sending it away to somebody to do the modding with a list of games, but nobody is offering that service on eBay.

strat

Postby strat » June 11th, 2020, 7:51 pm

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » June 11th, 2020, 8:24 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:I’m frustrated because I really want to mod my Sega mini, but I can’t find any tutorials for Mac owners, and I am so awful with tech stuff that I need the step-by-step. I was going to do the same thing with the Genesis Mini that I did with the NES/SNES, which involved sending it away to somebody to do the modding with a list of games, but nobody is offering that service on eBay.

Project Lunar are eventually going to make a Mac compatible version... but it's been 9 months since it the mini released and there still isn't even folder support for the Windows version. Work is being done on the next version, and they released some teasers of new features being added/tested, but there's still no word when that's potentially going to drop - let alone when they'll focus on making it Mac compatible.

If you can't wait that long, I found these couple of blog posts particularly helpful getting me started - although it is missing some minor details.

https://hi54.blog/content/hacking-a-sega-mini-for-self-quarantine-purposes
https://hi54.blog/content/re-hacking-a-sega-mini-for-continued-self-quarantine-purposes

Once you've got Window's running on your Mac, it's 99.9% following the exact same steps as regular Windows users. For that I'd recommend checking out YouTube channels Restalgia, Patton Plays and MadLittlePixel who do pretty comprehensive decent guides.

Also worth checking out GenesisMini, ModMyClassic and RockinTheClassics groups on Reddit, especially for additional support.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 11th, 2020, 8:33 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:I’m frustrated because I really want to mod my Sega mini, but I can’t find any tutorials for Mac owners, and I am so awful with tech stuff that I need the step-by-step. I was going to do the same thing with the Genesis Mini that I did with the NES/SNES, which involved sending it away to somebody to do the modding with a list of games, but nobody is offering that service on eBay.

I'll PM you.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 12th, 2020, 10:10 pm

I honestly only want to add a few select games to my mini, (Rocket knight adventures, Mutant league football, maybe a few more) so learning how to do that would be good at some point. Or I might just be lazy and ask you do handle it as well Actraiser! :)

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 21st, 2020, 4:27 pm

So the guy selling the modded Genesis Mini also has a modding service. For $50 plus S&H you send your Mini off to him and he mods it just like the one he is advertising. I got my modded system back this past weekend and am blown away. So many games, I may never leave the house! Totally worth the $50.

Return to “Classic Gaming”