ICBM Attack (Bally Astrocade)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

ICBM Attack (Bally Astrocade)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 11th, 2020, 7:11 pm

So I was trying to get some new Bally Astrocade reviews together, and attempting to play the super-rare ICBM Attack from my multicart. This is a Missile Command clone but I don't think I'm playing the original version.

This instructions are here:
https://archive.org/details/ICBM_Attack ... e_Software

In my case however you need to play with controller one and two at the same time! One rotary knob adjusts the X axis and the other the Y. Yes, it is awkward as hell. You shoot with the player two knob.

What I'm reading in the instructions is different and makes a lot more sense.

Thoughts?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: ICBM Attack (Bally Astrocade)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 12th, 2020, 10:24 am

Was there a special controller designed for this??

Breaker

Postby Breaker » June 12th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Looks like there was. This from Moby Games:

Rarity
ICBM is one of the rarer games released for the Bally Astrocade with only about 100 cartridges being made. In addition to there being few copies of the game it also requires a special analog joystick which was shipped with the game. Since release the joystick has become even rarer than the cartridges with only one known instance of someone owning it. Therefore almost nobody has been able to play the game on real hardware. It is however possible to play the game on the MAME emulator.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/icbm-attack

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 13th, 2020, 11:24 am

Thanks for the insight Breaker. I guess I could still post a review.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 14th, 2020, 11:20 pm

"Those are Minuteman Missiles. They're on their way to Russia. They take thirty minutes to reach their target!".

"So do theirs. Right?"

In the early 80s, nuclear war seemed to be on everyone's mind, so that's why you seem to see a lot of games like this around the time. Plus the movies. I don't have a Bally Astrocade, so I'm looking forward to your review.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 14th, 2020, 11:57 pm

Herschie wrote:"Those are Minuteman Missiles. They're on their way to Russia. They take thirty minutes to reach their target!".

"So do theirs. Right?"

I can instantly (i.e. recall) imagine John Lithgow saying those lines. :ugeek: :(

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 15th, 2020, 1:11 pm

I forgot that I posted about the controller issue with ICBM Attack in a previous forum thread!

Apparently there's a hacked version of the game called "Missile Attack" that allows for using just one controller, with a manual available on this page at the Bally Alley site (direct link to the manual here).

There's also an article about playing ICBM Attack in emulation, which praises the game strongly and sheds some light on how it's supposed to work if you had the regular controller.

Finally, I've added the Astrocade to the list of systems nearing a full review set. Only 4 games left:

Elementary Math/Bingo Math (aka Speed Math/Bingo Math)
I.C.B.M. Attack
Mazeman
Sneaky Snake

There are also prototypes for Soccer (which sounds like it's complete) and some sort of Checkers/Backgammon game (not sure how complete it is).

Return to “Now Playing”