Evercade Reviews?

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Re: Evercade Reviews?

Postby MSR1701 » June 24th, 2020, 3:28 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:With no difficulty options, you will never ever see any UFO's in Asteroids on the Evercade. (You need to set to A for that). That was a pretty big part of the game. It's a real shame because the emulation is dead on. The controls feel super responsive and the graphics look so crisp.

I agree; I use the Low Brightness option to get the most mileage out of my battery life, and even the Atari 2600 games look great. Normally on almost any other system (Nintendo DS, emulator system (portable or PC)) there is a definite visual issue; I haven't seen this on the Evercade yet.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 24th, 2020, 10:23 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Update - the music in Side Pocket is fine, but the mini-HDMI connection is very temperamental. If you jostle it while playing it will reset the system. Also, I'm going to blame this for some of the audio issues I've been seeing, since it doesn't happen when I play using the system's screen.

Are you using a mini HDMI adapter with a conventional full size HDMI cable? If so, I'd suggest ditching it since they're real finicky when jostled.

Integrated cable solutions with a mini-HDMI connector at one end and a full size HDMI connector at the other end are available.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 29th, 2020, 8:39 pm

I finished the first draft of the review. It's brutally honest, and probably a lot different from the reviews you've seen so far.

I'll try to get it posted in the next few days.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 29th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Looking forward to it!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 30th, 2020, 11:31 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I finished the first draft of the review. It's brutally honest, and probably a lot different from the reviews you've seen so far.

When you said the div switches had been left out of the atari collection I was like errr now I hear they are going to fix problems and this will require updates but I thought that would since it was their first cart they would really get the Atari stuff spot on. That is 5 carts I do want now.. Interplay, Atari and the first namco

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 30th, 2020, 11:37 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I finished the first draft of the review. It's brutally honest, and probably a lot different from the reviews you've seen so far.

When you said the div switches had been left out of the atari collection I was like errr now I hear they are going to fix problems and this will require updates but I thought that would since it was their first cart they would really get the Atari stuff spot on. That is 5 carts I do want now.. Interplay, Atari and the first namco

News to me that they will have an update for the Atari games; other than the firmware to align the game carts to use an SNES layout for SNES games, they have been firm that they will not be releasing constant updates.

BTW, the next two Evercade games are up for preorder (Amazon links below to anyone interested):

Evercade Xeno Crisis/Tanglewood Dual Game Cartridge
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BVNBX4Q/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Evercade Oliver Twins Collection 1 Cartridge
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BV ... UTF8&psc=1

Both are due in October, no ETA for the two Lynx collections yet. The Namco Collections are on backorder until the end of August the last time I heard an update.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 1st, 2020, 1:11 pm

If you're going to release physical media for an offline system, you HAVE to get it RIGHT the first time. It's a lesson Blaze (maker of Evercade) doesn't seem to have learned yet.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 8th, 2020, 8:13 am

Update - FunStock looks to still be taking preorders for the two new Evercade Carts, plus still has some preorder slots for the second batch of Namco Volume 1 available:

https://funstock.co.uk/collections/evercade-cartridges

Sold out of Namco Volume 2, sadly...

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 17th, 2020, 9:20 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:If you're going to release physical media for an offline system, you HAVE to get it RIGHT the first time. It's a lesson Blaze (maker of Evercade) doesn't seem to have learned yet.

Still learning, and a new firmware update adds several games to have the controls switched (such as Genesis games remapped according to taste), as well as a few bug fixes.

https://www.evercade.co.uk/firmware-update/

We are pleased to announce that new Firmware is now available for the Evercade. This update covers the following changes and improvements:

Button mapping options in specific games (See the list at the end of this post).
Brave Battle Saga on Piko Collection 1 – Crash condition is fixed.
Little Medusa on Mega Cat Collection 1 – Crash condition is fixed.
Menu “Bloop” sound can now be turned off.
FW version added in the Main Menu.
More robust save states function for when the unit is turned off.
Note: This update includes all 1.1a button mapping fixes.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 24th, 2020, 9:23 am

Update - the Atari Lynx carts will be open for preorders from select retailers on July 30th, to be made available around November this year.

https://www.evercade.co.uk/atari-lynx-1 ... confirmed/

Amusingly, the 2nd pack will have a reversible cover.

Return to “Video Games General”