Leaderboard Golf (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Leaderboard Golf (Genesis)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 25th, 2020, 9:52 am

It doesn't look like much, but I'm enjoying this. It's one of those games that tough to master, but when you nail a shot it feels very satisfying. Now I need to play this and PGA Tour back-to-back as a basis of comparison.

I know PGA ruled the roost in the 90's, probably due to its superior presentation and PGA license.

scotland

Re: Leaderboard Golf (Genesis)

Postby scotland » June 25th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Oh, I used to play earlier versions of Leaderboard on 8 bit computers. That was the first golf game that felt like golf, and not a video game somewhat based on the idea of golf. I find the Genesis PGA games very enjoyable and relaxing as well, but I'm not very competitive or good. It does bring up that perennial question of how much does the license matter.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » June 26th, 2020, 7:39 am

I'd never heard of anything outside of PGA/Arnold Palmer on Mega Drive until reading through old issues of SEGA Pro recently. It was the Master System and Game Gear versions getting reviewed and it already had a glowing reputation before getting a console release. Be interesting to hear how it measures up on 16-bit.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 22nd, 2020, 2:17 pm

Played PGA Tour Golf (the first one) and Leaderboard back to back, and I have to admit PGA is far superior.

In fact, I'm astonished how playable PGA remains to this day! Might have to touch up my old review.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 22nd, 2020, 3:12 pm

scotland wrote:Oh, I used to play earlier versions of Leaderboard on 8 bit computers. That was the first golf game that felt like golf, and not a video game somewhat based on the idea of golf. I find the Genesis PGA games very enjoyable and relaxing as well, but I'm not very competitive or good. It does bring up that perennial question of how much does the license matter.

I played Leaderboard on the C-64 way back in the day. I will have to check this one out for sure.

Return to “Now Playing”