2020/6/25: Atari 5200: Xari Arena

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
LuckyWDFN

Re: 2020/6/25: Atari 5200: Xari Arena

Postby LuckyWDFN » June 28th, 2020, 1:54 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I remember being in awe when Bounty Bob for the Atari 5200 was over $100. That was probably around 2000. Now you really can't even get it, and it's not on my multicart either.

I'm curious as to whether the Atari 8-bit computer version is the same game, considering games were often ported between the two systems. If so, the computer version would have the better controls.

I didn't know Bounty Bob was such a hard title to find for the 5200. I didn't have any problems finding the ROM for the Atari 800xl. I used that ROM (and dozens of others) to make my own multi-cart with that AtariMax cart programmer.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 28th, 2020, 3:55 pm

LuckyWDFN wrote:I didn't know Bounty Bob was such a hard title to find for the 5200. I didn't have any problems finding the ROM for the Atari 800xl. I used that ROM (and dozens of others) to make my own multi-cart with that AtariMax cart programmer.

I wish I had a junky 5200 donor cart like Pac-Man to send you, LuckyWDFN, if that would make it possible to create a repro cart of BBSB for the Critic!

Fortunately, the ROM for BBSB 5200 is around and easily found. No idea why it's not on the Critic's multicart, as you'd think including the system's rarest games would be priority one for a multicart maker.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » June 28th, 2020, 5:46 pm

goldenband wrote:
LuckyWDFN wrote:I didn't know Bounty Bob was such a hard title to find for the 5200. I didn't have any problems finding the ROM for the Atari 800xl. I used that ROM (and dozens of others) to make my own multi-cart with that AtariMax cart programmer.

I wish I had a junky 5200 donor cart like Pac-Man to send you, LuckyWDFN, if that would make it possible to create a repro cart of BBSB for the Critic!

Fortunately, the ROM for BBSB 5200 is around and easily found. No idea why it's not on the Critic's multicart, as you'd think including the system's rarest games would be priority one for a multicart maker.

Thanks, I would but the AtariMax system I is only for the 800 carts, I don't have the 5200 one. I'm not too swift when it comes to all that stuff (like most of you guys are) and it was even somewhat challenging for me how to figure out how to do the ones I did program. That Atarimax system is a little pricey but worth it for the do-it-yourselfer and the almost endless supply of games.

Speaking of multicarts, I hate when there's always that ONE game out hundreds of titles that the multicart is missing. Looking at Sega Genesis multicarts now and I'm bummed the one that has 1000 games is missing Rambo 3, which I want to try thanks to the Critic.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » June 28th, 2020, 7:57 pm

LuckyWDFN wrote:Speaking of multicarts, I hate when there's always that ONE game out hundreds of titles that the multicart is missing.

Agreed! But I now see why Bounty Bob Strikes Back didn't make it onto the multicart:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/286-b ... -question/

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/10598 ... ikes-back/

Apparently BBSB uses bankswitching -- the only classic-era game to do so, according to this site -- so you'd need a PCB or flashcart that supports it. My impression is that a lot of Atari 8-bit > 5200 ports involve bankswitching, so maybe it's a solved problem.

EDIT: It would seem the AtariMax flash cart for the 5200 supports bankswitched games, and therefore BBSB:

https://www.atarimax.com/5200sd/documen ... index.html

Return to “Review Feedback”