The next Nintendo console

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Voor

The next Nintendo console

Postby Voor » June 29th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Do you think it’ll be a console/handheld hybrid Again or return to more a traditional console design?

I personally think it will be latter, with the Switch sticking around for a few generations as Nintendo’s portable option for gaming. We saw how long of a life the 3DS had (and revisions).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: The next Nintendo console

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 29th, 2020, 12:27 pm

I hadn't put much thought into this but it's an interesting theory. Retaining the Switch as their handheld platform would allow them to go more high tech for the console. Then again, is achieving PS4 graphics really going to buy it much? I don't think anyone has complained about the Switch resolution.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 29th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Hmm, interesting discussion.

My hunch is they'll come out with a "Super" Switch or "New" Switch that does everything the current one does but with support for higher resolutions and framerates.

I doubt you'll see 4k gaming on it but a beefed up processor and framerates won't hurt things when it comes to getting more legacy ports from the PS4 and Xbox One systems.

We still need an actual Zelda game built from the ground up for the Switch. Breath of the Wild was merely a port and cut content from the Wii U. Similarly, we still haven't seen any Metroid gameplay or screenshots on the upcoming Switch game. Until those games come out I don't think we'll hear about a Super Switch for awhile.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 29th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Another question: is Nintendo “stuck” having to produce new games for their franchises or will they ever let them just go? For example, with with their next system, will they make another Smash Bros, or will they say “you know, Ultimate was a fantastic conclusion to the series and it’s a good place to end it”. Same with Mario Kart, etc.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » June 29th, 2020, 4:05 pm

Voor wrote:Another question: is Nintendo “stuck” having to produce new games for their franchises or will they ever let them just go? For example, with with their next system, will they make another Smash Bros, or will they say “you know, Ultimate was a fantastic conclusion to the series and it’s a good place to end it”. Same with Mario Kart, etc.

Yeah sure...

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 29th, 2020, 5:50 pm

To heck with the next console...I want them focused on games I want to play now! Outside of some Indie games I have not been too enamored by the Switch in the last year or so. I think the first party line up has been very disappointing in my opinion.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 29th, 2020, 7:18 pm

That’s the beauty of buying a console two years after launch. I’m so far behind, it’ll take me a long time to catch up. I JUST purchased breath of the wild today.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 29th, 2020, 8:09 pm

Voor wrote:That’s the beauty of buying a console two years after launch. I’m so far behind, it’ll take me a long time to catch up. I JUST purchased breath of the wild today.

Very cool. Will be interested in what you have to say about that one!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » June 29th, 2020, 9:14 pm

Controversial Opinion:

I think the time is nigh for Nintendo to ditch their hardware business. While I have enjoyed and owned nearly every Nintendo system released I cannot see continued success for their business if adopting a next iteration of the Switch. While the Switch is doing well with many gamer's adopting it as a second console, a not inconsiderable chunk of their market are people that like to faff around with these tablet type devices and casually play games or stream content. These customers are easily lost to the next fad. Nintendo entering the traditional console market would be commercial suicide. Although Nintendo gaming IP's are strong people are not dumping Sony or Microsoft. My youngest brother wont migrate to a gaming PC because all his friends are sporting PS4's and they play s**t games like Call of Duty online and so on. I feel my brother is not the only one with that sentiment of not budging from an established platform to try something new.

Lets take this generation in context:

Nintendo bailed out of the hardware business after WiiU. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey come out on Steam, the PS4 and Xbox. The graphics are much better and the content deeper and more expansive (no cart limitations). They sell millions more copies because many gamer's that want to try Breath of the Wild / Mario Odyssey wont stump up $300 for another console. This would also kill emulation. Right now I am sure Nintendo have lost 10's of thousands of console sales to emulators due to their hardware being so weak as to be easily emulatable on a PC or Laptop that many people could own. PS4 emulation wont be a thing for years given the PS3 only barely runs on a high end rig. Switch, Mario Odyssey pumping away at 60fps on a budget gaming PC and compatibility improving with each day.

I always thought if Nintendo teamed up with Microsoft (PC/Xbox) Sony would be right to be concerned. Would be Snes vs Genesis again, 50/50 split...

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 29th, 2020, 9:26 pm

I will kind of disagree with you there DrLitch.

The switch is the first modern console I've spent money on in years. Like... 10+ years. I absolutely love the thing. The portable and TV connection abilities make it one of my favorite systems of all time. And I don't think Sony or Microsoft are just creative or innovative enough as companies to do something similar.

Nintendo is a trendsetter, whether it is with motion controls or touch screens or weird controllers, they try things. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The switch works, and I firmly think they need to stay in the hardware game.

Return to “Modern Gaming”