Nintendo Switch Uncomfortable to play in handheld mode!

General and high profile video game topics.
Buttermancan

Nintendo Switch Uncomfortable to play in handheld mode!

Postby Buttermancan » June 30th, 2020, 8:19 am

I think the Switch is very uncomfortable in handheld mode for more than 10 mins ( I'm 6ft 3in tall but I don't think my hands are large. A friend of mine that's 5'9 has hands a big as mine!)

Does the Switch Lite have the same layout and feel? I'm not looking to get one but ask out of curiosity!

I enjoyed playing Mario Odyssey with the joycons - I played with them seperated; one in each hand. It felt far more ergonomic. Games can be more relaxing to play this way and with each hand being its own entity it could lead to more control options (as each hand is free). Its far more relaxing as you don't have to have your controller up infront of you thus requiring less muscle activation (coming from someone that works out so it's not about someone being super weak)
Thoughts ?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Nintendo Switch Uncomfortable to play in handheld mode!

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 30th, 2020, 10:40 am

I totally agree with you. I think I've only used my Switch in handheld mode once. In addition, I have to use reading glasses when I play on a portable, which is bit of a pain.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 30th, 2020, 10:55 am

This is good to know. Thanks for bringing it up. I like handheld gaming, but the Switch always seemed overly massive for it.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 30th, 2020, 12:27 pm

I’m average sized I guess, and my hands can go about 90 minutes before discomfort. And that’s with Rocket League, where you hold one of the triggers 90% of the time. That may be a factor. This is actually OK, since I don’t need to be playing for hours anyway, LOL.

Unless I’m playing with family, I use handheld mode exclusively.

The most comfortable handheld I ever had was a 2DS.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » June 30th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Yeah, it's definitely uncomfortable to use. Unfortunately, this is the price you pay for the system's versatility. Because of the design of the joycons, the sticks are located directly above / below the buttons, as opposed to them being offset like on a regular gamepad, which can cause you to contort your hands in awkward ways, especially when using the right stick.

And of course its size and shape doesn't help either since there just isn't much to hold onto.

One solution is to buy a grip attachment, which does help quite a bit (I have the one made by Satisfye, though that's one of the more expensive ones).

If you like to play primarily at home like me, a better solution might be this gooseneck tablet stand:

https://www.amazon.com/Tryone-Gooseneck ... AK22FBY248

Just attach it to your nightstand or most any table, and you can comfortably play with the detached joycons or pro controller.

noah98

Postby noah98 » June 30th, 2020, 6:25 pm

The Switch Lite is much more comfortable to hold. It is very light, convenient to pick up and play, and fairly ergonomic. Of course, you then lose all of the versatility of the standard Switch.

I have both, and ironically it's a pain to switch between the two due to Nintendo's overly restrictive account system (for saves and DLC). If you really like to play in portable mode a lot, it might be worth getting. If not, stick with the original.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 30th, 2020, 8:09 pm

Huh. I use my switch almost exclusively in handheld mode, (about 90% of the time) and I have no issue with it. I can ramble about how much I don't like the Dreamcast or Wii-mote set up for many paragraphs. But the switch layout is good for me. The fact that so many of you don't like it I find interesting.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 1st, 2020, 6:27 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I totally agree with you. I think I've only used my Switch in handheld mode once. In addition, I have to use reading glasses when I play on a portable, which is bit of a pain.

I sympathize; I have to wear glasses all the time, and it doesn't help that many games (Fire Emblem Three Houses) have text font that is optimized only for TV viewing, not for the portable mode.

I have yet to try a Switch in Handheld mode; I have a Switch Lite, and it is very comfortable to play (barring tiny font games like Planescape and FE: TH).

Return to “Video Games General”