Best of Microsoft Entertainment Pack (GBC)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Best of Microsoft Entertainment Pack (GBC)

Postby Zack Burner » July 1st, 2020, 8:11 am

Remember back in the 90's when Microsoft had all those amazing games you could play on your computer? Here on this little GBC pack, you get 7 games to test to challenge your brain, and on one reflexes. The games are as follows: Mine Sweeper, Life Genesis, Tic Tactics, Freecell, Tripeaks, Tut's Tomb, and SkiFree. The card games are exactly as you remember, though the small graphics might make you squint to see the numbers. Life Genesis is a little confusing to follow, Tic Tactics is your basic run of the mill competitive puzzle game, Minesweeper is more luck than strategy. The highlight is SkiFree, with 3 modes of play such as slalom, freestyle, or tree slalom. There are other quirks in this game as the dog who defecates in the snow and of course the abominable snow man who eats you whole and uses one ski as a toothpick. The only downside is the crashes aren't as memorable as in the PC version. This is good for a quick think escapism, but otherwise nothing more.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Best of Microsoft Entertainment Pack (GBC)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 1st, 2020, 9:33 am

I can't believe this is a thing!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 1st, 2020, 9:46 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I can't believe this is a thing!

I couldn't have believed it either until my Mom from many years ago found it for discount at TJ MAXX. Coming soon, I'll do another Microsoft Game collection, the Puzzle Collection from Microsoft as well on GBC! The only thing I could have done better for this one, is they could have included Jezzball or even my all-time favorite: Chip's Challenge. Who knows how many hours I poured into that game!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 1st, 2020, 10:58 am

SkiFree! I forgot about that game until reading this. Loved playing that in the 90s on Windows.

I'm surprised to hear this is a real game too. Thanks for the heads up Zack. Sadly it's kinda pricey! I hopped on ebay hoping to snag it, but it sells for over $30. For like $10-$15, I would have easily bought it just to play Skifree.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 1st, 2020, 11:02 am

Retro STrife wrote:SkiFree! I forgot about that game until reading this. Loved playing that in the 90s on Windows.

I'm surprised to hear this is a real game too. Thanks for the heads up Zack. Sadly it's kinda pricey! I hopped on ebay hoping to snag it, but it sells for over $30. For like $10-$15, I would have easily bought it just to play Skifree.

Oh yeah, that's easily the most popular Microsoft game of all-time. All the trick jumps, the crashes, the styles, and the many quirks such as the dog defecating in the snow if you hit him enough times and of course the yeti at the end.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 1st, 2020, 11:57 am

I can't believe this is a thing either. I will say I did find time to play Freecell at work back in the 90s, but don't think I've played a game since then. I also used to play Taipei (Mahjong Solotaire), which is probably in the puzzle collection. Since I don't play Mahjong, my brain invented names for some of the cards. I do still play versions of that game (also called Shanghai sometimes), which has a lot of variations in difficulty.

Return to “Reader Reviews”