Star Wars Rise of the Skywalker

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars Rise of the Skywalker

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 30th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Voor wrote:I’m not a huge Star Wars fan, but if I’m going to invest 2 hours into something, I try to find value in it. That said, my two hours felt wasted with this movie. I admit I was not super psyched to see it at all (I liked Force Awakens, but TLJ fell flat to me), and by the end, I was just thinking “just please end this so we can move on with our lives”). I just didn’t care what happened to any of the characters.

I can relate to this. After the first movie I was really intrigued by Rey and Kylo Ren. I thought they were great characters with a lot of potential. But after Last Jedi, I really didn't care about them anymore. If they were killed off in episode 9 I was okay with it.

I think that might be Rian Johnson's legacy - making people no longer care about Star Wars.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » June 30th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Ep 7 was a solid movie, It was great when It came out despite it's faults, however Ep 8 and 9 are awful movies, 8 doesn't go anywhere and on 9 they dind't know what to do anymore. I blame Rian Johnson, he ruined the whole trilogy on Ep 8.

I didn't like Rogue One at the time, but today I found it a much more enjoyable Star Wars experience than either Ep 9 and 8, Rogue One is visually fantastic.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 30th, 2020, 3:39 pm

What's funny is Solo lost Disney a good deal of money (or at the very least didn't come anywhere near to meeting expectations).

It's also a freaking masterpiece compared to 8 and 9.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 30th, 2020, 6:39 pm

ActRaiser wrote:What's funny is Solo lost Disney a good deal of money (or at the very least didn't come anywhere near to meeting expectations).

It's also a freaking masterpiece compared to 8 and 9.

I didn't think Solo was great but it was entertaining and watchable. A fun action flick. Which is more then I can say for 8 and 9. I really liked Rogue One. I watched that movie about a dozen times and counting.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 30th, 2020, 7:17 pm

Anybody else noticed the Rey could pull a spaceship out of the sky yet Yoda had a hard time with the column falling in Episode 2?

Voor

Postby Voor » June 30th, 2020, 7:37 pm

I will say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the mandalorian. I’ve never cared for movies where the characters split into separate groups to do different tasks, which SW does a lot in 1-9. I like that the story follows Mando closely...feels like a western.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 30th, 2020, 9:01 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Anybody else noticed the Rey could pull a spaceship out of the sky yet Yoda had a hard time with the column falling in Episode 2?

Yes but I think that Force abilities have been enhanced in The Clone Wars and SW Rebels series ... and the Sequel Trilogy (plus Rey's lineage) is just following suit. Also Yoda said size doesn't matter, only in your head (when lifting the X-wing). If 800 year old Yoda can pull an X-wing out of a swamp, I think Rey can hold an escaping craft. *

* not trying to defend TROS.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 1st, 2020, 10:18 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Anybody else noticed the Rey could pull a spaceship out of the sky yet Yoda had a hard time with the column falling in Episode 2?

Star Wars has always had inconsistencies in force usage or saber fights.

Mace Windu punks Darth Sidious, apparently the most powerful force user in the Sith order's history. Mace Windu is about equal to Count Dooku but Sidious overpowers Count Dooku from light years away with a force choke in one of the animated episodes.

Count Dooku obliterates Obi Wan in EP2 and EP3, Anakin defeats Dooku easily in EP3, and then in same episode Obi Wan holds his own against Anakin.

Luke was amazingly powerful in EP6 given EP5 was only a couple of years earlier. Amazing escalation in force power. Same for Anakin. A skilled Jedi in the Clone Wars but near God tier in EP3.

Rey having amazing abilities she scarcely has to earn is thus par for the course in Star Wars.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 1st, 2020, 12:03 pm

I'm not the biggest Star Wars guy, but I was told in the old Expanded Universe books, Luke could pull down orbiting fleets using the Force. I think its the curse of power creep. To keep making it exciting, things keep getting ramped up. Remember the light saber duel in A New Hope is Kendo for Old Men, and by TPM its acrobatic martial arts on a new level. I guess Force Powers do the same thing. They need to pull the reins in on what the rules are, or it gets out of hand.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 3rd, 2020, 8:44 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think that might be Rian Johnson's legacy - making people no longer care about Star Wars.

Except a lot of people still do, or you wouldn't still be ranting about it. And baby Yoda wouldn't be so popular.

And episode VIII was controversial, not universally hated.

But there's me missing the days when people were allowed to disagree with each other, instead of the most offended fans refusing to acknowledge anyone who doesn't share their opinions.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on July 3rd, 2020, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Media”