2020/7/4: NES: North and South

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/7/4: NES: North and South

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 4th, 2020, 8:34 am

I told you I'd have this posted on the 4th! Let's hear your thoughts.

RDReynolds

Re: 2020/7/4: NES: North and South

Postby RDReynolds » July 4th, 2020, 8:48 am

Never played it on the NES, but played it constantly on my Atari ST. Very fun game!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 4th, 2020, 9:31 am

Been looking forward to this review for years, glad to finally see it. Excellent review and you've really encapsulated every important point about the game into it. And I appreciate the use of the "hidden gem" icon, because this game is nowhere near as well known as it should be. I think people hear "old school war strategy game" and they run and hide, without realizing that North and South is much more laid-back and "arcade-y" than your usual strategy game (although there is a lot of strategy thrown in too).

I actually fully agree with your B score, despite the fact that I often rave about this game. The reason I rave about North and South is because it's so one-of-a-kind, and so surprisingly deep for an NES game. But that doesn't mean it's perfect. As your review mentions, the Fort levels are a real weakness to the game and I often dread them, even if they're intended to be a nice change of pace to the gameplay.

I hope you get the chance to play more multiplayer with this game down the road someday. The game gets much more intense and strategic when you're facing a friend and not the AI.

One quick note- do the reinforcements come from England? I think they come from Europe, but I didn't remember them coming from a specific country. The manual just refers to them as "European reinforcements".

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 4th, 2020, 9:37 am

Retro -
You deserve credit for staying on me about this one! Glad the review lived up to expectations.
And you are correct - the reinforcements come from Europe. I will fix that.

Thanks and have a great 4th everybody.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 4th, 2020, 11:18 am

Thanks to emulation, I was able to play this game, long overdue too! I like the concepts of this one Board game and strategy all rolled into one! I generally use the infantry or cavalry in battles since I manage to obtain the success. Granted the first time, I struggled a bit since I was getting used to everything. I regret not having the chance to play this when I was younger, since this game is great and I first saw this game at my local supermarket. Playing this game makes me want to want the movies "Glory" with Denzel Washington and Matthew Broderick and/or "Gettysburg" with Jeff Daniels and Martin Sheen. The only flaw is the storming the fortress mode, The jump mechanics feel pretty flat and I couldn't get past the hole in the wall or the wagon. I will say it's fun to attack those awful Confederates! Great game indeed.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 6th, 2020, 10:58 pm

Being interested in the Civil War I picked this game Up even though I expected it to be awful. This is one of those rare spontaneous purchases that actually paid off. This was a great game. Like everyone else I agree the battles were the best and the side scrolling aspects were the worst. Good review of a good game.

The South shall rise again.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » July 7th, 2020, 9:06 am

Are we even allowed to play the south anymore?

Return to “Review Feedback”