Halloween is Coming!

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Halloween is Coming!

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 7th, 2020, 3:27 pm

I know the year has been crawling by for everybody stuck at home, but for me it's hard to believe it's already July. That means that we're only three months away from October, and one of my favorite things about that month is to see what spooky new titles the Critic will add to his review list! Well, why waste time? If you have a Halloween themed game you really want to see him review, leave it here!

For me, I'd love to see a review for Amnesia: The Dark Descent (he can try the whole trilogy if he wants since it's all bundled together on console). He enjoyed Alien: Isolation, and ATDD is arguably the game that popularized that kind of survival horror, so I'm interested to see his take on it.

Outlast is another great horror game with the same "run and hide" gameplay as Amnesia and Alien. It's a lot more "traditional" horror than Amnesia, set in an asylum taken over by the inmates. It's got some really...REALLLLY...messed up stuff in it, but very little of it feels forced.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more later. What about you guys?

Zack Burner

Re: Halloween is Coming!

Postby Zack Burner » July 7th, 2020, 4:18 pm

I've done some reviews of a few good games for Halloween the Critic hasn't reviewed that I'd like to see:

House of the dead 4 (PS3)
Alone in the Dark the New Nightmare (GBC)
Musya: The Classic Japanese Tale of Horror (SNES)
Gremlins 2 (NES)
Nioh

Unlikely:
Clock Tower (SNES Japan)
Aka Manto and Yuki-Onna (Steam)

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 7th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about the SNES Clocktower! The REAL grandfather of survival horror!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 7th, 2020, 7:08 pm

First of all, let me say this thread is utterly ridiculous and outrageously seasonally incorrect. But I may be grateful to have it once September comes lurking around.

I think I could play Clocktower on my Retron 5. But would there be a language barrier? Has anybody else played it?

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 7th, 2020, 8:29 pm

Will telling you that Hotline Miami is a surreal, hallucinogenic slasher-movie simulator starring a mentally-ill man wearing a collection of animal masks get you to play it for Halloween? I'll say anything at this point. Also: it records the highest grades and scores for each level locally and you can replay each of them individually using your newly unlocked masks and weapons for a surprisingly amount of replay value. Unforunately, the only physical versions are Japanese imports for the PS4 and Vita that have the original game on disc and the very good second game HM2: Wrong Number as downloadable DLC that you can only activate through a Japanese PSN account...or a Switch physical edition of both games released through Special Reserve Games that already goes for $70+ online (although that's not terrible considering the quality of both games and the bonus stuff you get). There are also digital downloads for both games on the PS4 and Switch and they go on sale frequently.

hm web.jpg
hm web.jpg (69.39 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

Binding of Isaac is a legitimately creepy (although self-consciously gross and outrageous) rougelite inspired by the dungeons from the original NES Legend of Zelda where you navigate a young boy through the basement of his house to avoid being sacrificed by his religious-fanatic mother. It's been a while since I've played it but I probably put at least 40 hours into it back in the day. Physical editions are readily available for the PS4 and Switch under the name The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+.

boi web.jpg
boi web.jpg (70.16 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » July 9th, 2020, 7:58 pm

I know it's super early for Halloween. But the critic still has never reviewed the original Manhunt on the PS2. Manhunt 2 wasn't very good, but I thought the first one was a classic. And scary is hell at times.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » July 10th, 2020, 4:40 am

Its never to early for Halloween lol !!!
My house is halloween 24/7 . All year long lol

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 10th, 2020, 4:53 am

I figured the sooner we could tell the Critic about them, the easier it'd be for him to fit them into his schedule.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 10th, 2020, 8:10 am

velcrozombie wrote:Will telling you that Hotline Miami is a surreal, hallucinogenic slasher-movie simulator starring a mentally-ill man wearing a collection of animal masks get you to play it for Halloween? I'll say anything at this point.

I'm with you. I'll always take any opportunity to tout Hotline Miami. This game blew me away, despite a slow start that had me quit it for awhile at first. A+++

It just might be my favorite game of the last 10 years. One that no retro gaming fan should miss IMO.

I don't think it really fits as a Halloween game.. it works during any season.. but hey, whatever excuse it takes to play it sounds good to me.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 10th, 2020, 9:24 am

Is Hotline Miami available on physical media?

Return to “Video Games General”