2020/7/14: Saturn: Sega Ages

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2020/7/14: Saturn: Sega Ages

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 14th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Check out this update to my old Sega Ages review. Same grade.
Not sure this was necessary, but I think the parts about the mission stick adds something.

Cafeman

Re: 2020/7/14: Saturn: Sega Ages

Postby Cafeman » July 14th, 2020, 9:06 pm

This package is one of my prize collections. Love playing all 3 games with a Japanese Saturn pad.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » July 15th, 2020, 3:50 am

Well written. I hadn't read the old review so it was nice to have it brought to my attention.

I really love these old sega arcade titles. You are right about the colour giving the titles some pop.
I would love to try out that arcade stick. I don't think I've used a joystick since the 90's. Was it expensive?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 15th, 2020, 7:11 am

Good review. Three great titles. I am not sure that controller was every released in the UK. Looks lush.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 15th, 2020, 8:58 am

Always good to see some Saturn reviews. You can add a $$ icon to this one too, because complete copies of the game sell for around $300 on ebay. Not sure why, since the 3 games are available in so many other collections -- but I assume there must be a very low supply of copies out there. I guess that makes sense though, since playing older games was not a popular reason to blow $70 back in the mid-90s..

You mention the Saturn steering wheel in your Outrun section. Not sure if you have one, but you're not missing much if you don't. I've never been impressed with it and refuse to use it. The Saturn wheel was the first racing wheel I ever owned, and playing it with Sega Rally and Daytona was much more imprecise compared to a regular controller. Maybe all racing wheels are like that, but I wouldn't know.. the Saturn wheel made me hate racing wheels enough that since then I've never used another one at home.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 15th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Retro STrife wrote:You mention the Saturn steering wheel in your Outrun section. Not sure if you have one, but you're not missing much if you don't. I've never been impressed with it and refuse to use it. The Saturn wheel was the first racing wheel I ever owned, and playing it with Sega Rally and Daytona was much more imprecise compared to a regular controller. Maybe all racing wheels are like that, but I wouldn't know.. the Saturn wheel made me hate racing wheels enough that since then I've never used another one at home.

Yeah the Sega Steering wheel. Wow what a piece of doggy do dos. The control is awful, one of my friends(?) sold me one and told me it was great. Virtually unusable. I had one for the ps1. It was good fun but I always found that while the realism was great I would normally come in last. It was still better than the Saturn one.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 15th, 2020, 4:05 pm

First, off - wow - I had no idea this was so damn expensive! I figured it was common. Sheesh those prices are out of control.

About the steering wheel, I tend to agree. It's big and bulky and the wheel feels loose and inexact. For a steering wheel you want it to have a "heavy" feel. I did play it with Outrun but actually preferred the mission stick.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 15th, 2020, 6:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:First, off - wow - I had no idea this was so damn expensive! I figured it was common. Sheesh those prices are out of control.

Yep that's Saturn collecting for ya... The prices have probably shoot up more over the years than any other common system. I bought most of Saturn games in the 2000s.. and I thought they were expensive then!! It was my favorite system to collect for and I had ideas in my head of doing a complete set, but I've long since let that crazy thought disappear from my mind.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 17th, 2020, 10:40 am

I adore this collection. I remember hemming and hawing about spending $60 or so for a complete copy back in the mid 2000s. No idea the game jumped up in value that much.

I've always loved Outrun and Afterburner...and this is one of the best ways to play these games. Glad I own a copy, because I don't think these three games are worth the current ebay prices.

Return to “Review Feedback”